Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help! Droid Ultra on straight talk

Hello everyone. I purchased a Droid Ultra and I read here and elsewhere it can be used on Straight talk prepaid with an ATT nano Sim. I ordered the ATT Sim from straight talk and inserted into the phone. When the phone boots up it says unknown Sim. I have not activated the Sim or set up a straight talk account yet. Does that have to be done for the phone to properly know what it is? I didn't want to waste money on a straight talk plan if it doesn't work.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Default Re: Help! Droid Ultra on straight talk

Quote Originally Posted by darksylum View Post
    Hello everyone. I purchased a Droid Ultra and I read here and elsewhere it can be used on Straight talk prepaid with an ATT nano Sim. I ordered the ATT Sim from straight talk and inserted into the phone. When the phone boots up it says unknown Sim. I have not activated the Sim or set up a straight talk account yet. Does that have to be done for the phone to properly know what it is? I didn't want to waste money on a straight talk plan if it doesn't work.
    There are reports of it working and there are also reports that GSM U.S. SIM's are no longer recognized or supported. It may or may not work. You should call StraightTalk and ask them.

If it does work, you won't have LTE. You would be able to get HSPA.

It generally isn't a good idea to buy a CDMA phone when you are planning on using a GSM network.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by frag06 View Post
    There are reports of it working and there are also reports that GSM U.S. SIM's are no longer recognized or supported. It may or may not work. You should call StraightTalk and ask them.

If it does work, you won't have LTE. You would be able to get HSPA.

It generally isn't a good idea to buy a CDMA phone when you are planning on using a GSM network.
    Its not a big deal. I will have it working on GSM regardless. A local cellphone shop here in Portland has been pestering me to use an ATT prepaid service they sell and he guarantees it works on the ultra with there Sim. Straight talk is just a bit cheaper so I wanted to try that route since others have it working.

I have the droid ultra on straight talk with at&t gsm & I get 4g lte...

Global Posts
    14,641 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

"unknown Sim" could just mean that the phone is locked to another carrier. Are you sure it was being used on AT&T or that it's unlocked? (And that you don't have the radios set for CDMA and/or WCDMA only?)