Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Random crashes (Nexus 5, Kit Kat)

Hi:

I have a Nexus 5 (with 32G) which I got from Google Play store in March. It came with Kit Kat 4.4.2 and I have made upgrades to 4.4.4 (the phone is not rooted). I use T-Mobile. I only have a few third party apps on it.

Largely since I got it, the phone crashes once or twice a day -- it reboots. Nothing unusual seems to be happening in advance and it occurs when I am using different apps (native phone dialer, browser, sometimes just at the home screen). The only thing I have been able to replicate is opening this video in chrome, selecting "use youtube", and then it crashes about 30 seconds in: Perseus vs The Kraken (1981) - YouTube (sorry cannot seem to post link but you can find this in google)-- a funny video if you enjoy the "Release the Kraken" meme! Note that sometimes I can get through this video and it does not crash (and it rarely crashes with other videos).

I am honestly at a loss as to what to do.
    - is there some sort of android file which lists events/crashes/panics which I can look at?
    - putting it in safe mode is not likely to help too much since the crashes are so random and infrequent it is not going to tell me which app is causing the problem

I am concerned this could even be a hardware issue since I have had this issue since the beginning.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions on what to do!

Default Re: Random crashes (Nexus 5, Kit Kat)

Welcome to Android Central, and sorry for the delay! Have you tried booting into Recovery and clearing the system cache partition? [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery