Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default GS4 water issue

So I recently bought a life proof case for my newly replaced GS4 (I had cracked the lcd screen) and so i decided to test it underwater and take a picture because why not right?? So upon doing that I realized that the case wasn't all of the way on and i immediately took it out, took it out of the case and removed the battery to let it dry on a towel because i didn't have rice handy. So i went home and the phone works fine because it was only exposed to a little water but i noticed some things. One is that the water exposure strip on my battery was red/pink so it was obviously exposed to water, second I noticed that when i go to charge my phone it doesn't always register it charging. I got it to work after many tries and it charges and holds a charge but is very inconsistent with receiving a charge. Upon realizing that i look at the over visible water strip detector by the motherboard area and its white which is why it works just fine. Lastly today (this happened yesterday) i noticed that inside the front camera there was moisture inside the lens making it fuzzy and blurry but the other camera works fine. So I then proceeded to take out the battery, sim card, sd card and cover for the back and I stuck only the phone itself in a bag of rice which is where it is right now. Any advice on what to do? I have the ability to get a new battery for free which is what I will do soon, Will that fix the charging issue or am i going to have to get the charging port fixed as well. And lastly, Is the rice going to be able to get the moisture out from under my front camera lens? Its been about 14-15 hours since this happened… Any advice or knowledge will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Default Re: GS4 water issue

Only thing I feel at all qualified to comment on is lens water: think you'd be very lucky to get it out by any absorptive method and even if it dries it may leave deposits on the inner optical surfaces. Regarding other moisture damage, would not eg hair drier set low, and far from the device, help a bit by force drying?

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Only thing I feel at all qualified to comment on is lens water: think you'd be very lucky to get it out by any absorptive method and even if it dries it may leave deposits on the inner optical surfaces. Regarding other moisture damage, would not eg hair drier set low, and far from the device, help a bit by force drying?

Ok I'm the same one that posted the question. So if it dries on the lens would it harm the internals at all? Again i checked the water sensitive thing on my phone and it was still white. The only pink one was on the battery and in the battery compartment. I checked it after about 15 min because i was talking to a friend and the camera quality seemed to get a little better but it was still kind of fuzzy

****UPDATE****
    I took it out of the rice and the camera is now fine. So I hope that the water is now gone and didn't hit anything else. Still curious about the charging though
    Last edited by Ba Nanners; 06-26-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Update

I once dropped a phone in water and after removing external casing did the hair drier thing to get the water out as quickly as possible. It took two attempts...after first reassembly, condensation soon formed around display edge, after second attempt all was well. I just feel that rice or silica gel are too slow, but please don't try hair drier just because it worked for me.
    As for lenses, bearing in mind how small they are, even slight deposits left behind after drying might degrade image more noticeably than with a 35mm camera lens, say. I couldn't live with an internally dirty lens but then I'm a camera nut...perhaps it doesn't matter so much to you. Wish you every success.

Just read your update...good.

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Just read your update...good.

Yes the camera is better. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of phones than me can see this and answer my question about the battery and charging port. currently i have to turn on the phone and plug it in immediately and it usually registers a charge, also i have to take off the back cover to do so. Im not going to try the hair dryer because i have read that the heat can fry the internals and also make the water damage worse if there is any. But i don't think there is other than the battery because the water detection stuff they put on the phones (hopefully you know what I mean) only turned pink on the battery. The one just to the left of the camera was still white so hopefully its just that i need a new battery