Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Any way to run Facebook in a browser (Chrome preferably) as a separate task/app?

For Mac, there is an app called FLUID (Fluid - Turn Your Favorite Web Apps into Real Mac Apps.) that allows you to create "apps" out of web pages, running them as "separate apps", going so far as letting you select the "app icon", letting you run the "app" in an completely isolated browser session, and running the "app" in full screen mode.

I recently removed Facebook from my (rooted) Galaxy Note 3 because it's too buggy, it's updated all the time (latest update broke writing a comment after someone else's for me, for example), and it is known to drain the battery. I decided to use it via the browser instead.

Problem is, it´s just another tab in Chrome.

I can create a shortcut to it in the home launcher, but I need to go to the home launcher to launch it.

I can save it as a favorite in Chrome, but I need to go to the favorites option in Chrome to select it.

I can't:
    - directly switch to Facebook in task manager
    - call it from anywhere with one of the many app launchers available out there

Is there any Fluid-like way to solve this problem? I understand that Facebook limits third-app access to our timeline (we don't get everything that is being posted), so as interesting as a Facebook alternative may be (HootSuite maybe?), I don't want to get just a subset of what I am receiving.

Google gave me no clues, I wouldn't be asking if I could easily Google a solution.

Since I believe this would be of interest of many people who have issues with the Facebook app as I do, a solution would be of general interest to the Android community.

If only I knew how to develop... a Fluid-like app for Android would be a very interesting app, IMHO.

Default Re: Any way to run Facebook in a browser (Chrome preferably) as a separate task/app?

As you can probably tell from the lack of replies, there doesn't seem to be a Fluid-like way of doing this on Android devices. Maybe in the future, though!