Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Newbie Questions on Google

Hello,

I am a iPhone user but I love using Googles apps. I recently had someone tell me how "evil" Google was and by using their products they have all your information. Is this true? Honestly, I could care less if Google knows where I am or what I prefer, but I am a little paranoid now about sensitive data (bank info, ssn, etc). Is there really anything to be paranoid about? Will they ever sell my information??? Do they have access to ALL my information and if so how?!?

I figured it was best to ask this in a forum where you have Google fans and not Google haters..

Thanks!

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Newbie Questions on Google

Sure Google tracks you...they make revenues off of ads. But everyone tracks you. I will admit I don't do banking transactions on my phone, but that is just me.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    7,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Newbie Questions on Google

Google is pretty transparent about what information they have and how they use it. Their ToS, Privacy Policy, etc are all in plain language and available here:

Google Terms of Service – Privacy & Terms – Google
    Privacy Policy – Privacy & Terms – Google

Furthermore, the collection of this data and management is also sometimes optional (opt-in or opt-out) and you can manage the information that's already been collected, etc. You can also browse in incognito mode, etc. for more privacy protection (for things like banking, etc).

Google has a bad "rep" for data gathering because they do gather a lot of data and they're a huge, well known company with their hands in a lot of things. In all seriousness, their privacy protections are better than some other giants in similar businesses (such as Yahoo, Microsoft, etc), mainly because they will never sell your information while some others will.