Newbie Questions on Google

A

AC Question

Hello,

I am a iPhone user but I love using Googles apps. I recently had someone tell me how "evil" Google was and by using their products they have all your information. Is this true? Honestly, I could care less if Google knows where I am or what I prefer, but I am a little paranoid now about sensitive data (bank info, ssn, etc). Is there really anything to be paranoid about? Will they ever sell my information??? Do they have access to ALL my information and if so how?!?

I figured it was best to ask this in a forum where you have Google fans and not Google haters..

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sure Google tracks you...they make revenues off of ads. But everyone tracks you. I will admit I don't do banking transactions on my phone, but that is just me.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google is pretty transparent about what information they have and how they use it. Their ToS, Privacy Policy, etc are all in plain language and available here:

Google Terms of Service – Privacy & Terms – Google
Privacy Policy – Privacy & Terms – Google

Furthermore, the collection of this data and management is also sometimes optional (opt-in or opt-out) and you can manage the information that's already been collected, etc. You can also browse in incognito mode, etc. for more privacy protection (for things like banking, etc).

Google has a bad "rep" for data gathering because they do gather a lot of data and they're a huge, well known company with their hands in a lot of things. In all seriousness, their privacy protections are better than some other giants in similar businesses (such as Yahoo, Microsoft, etc), mainly because they will never sell your information while some others will.