Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Play WMA music on Nexus 10 streamed from uPNP/DLNA server

My music is stored on a NAS, mixture of MP3 and WMA. Visible using ES File Explorer and also made available by Twonky media server running on the NAS.

I want to find a way of playing WMA files on the tablet directly from the NAS so I can use the tablet to play my music bluetoothed into speakers. Help is needed and appreciated!!

I have tried all sorts:

Have paid up version of Poweramp. Can play WMA music stored on the tablet. Brilliant when going away with small selection but don't want to faff with copying for normal in-house use. Cant get Poweramp to read straight from the NAS.

Have paid up version of BubbleUPnP media streamer which directs the NAS' Twonky media server to play either on the tablet as local renderer or a DLNA media player on the TV. Works brilliantly EXCEPT for playing WMA files on the tablet. I can't find a way of registering Poweramp as the local renderer which we know plays WMAs.

I have read forums like revision for an exam! And arrived at the patchy solutions above. Oh to join up the last couple of dots!

Global Posts
    25,309 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Play WMA music on Nexus 10 streamed from uPNP/DLNA server

I am actually not sure what to suggest. Is there anyway to convert the files to mp3 then re upload them?

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Play WMA music on Nexus 10 streamed from uPNP/DLNA server

Re-ripping my CDs is an option, just rather daunting! An alternative is to transform all music to MP3 on playback. I think some DLNA media servers can do this but not sure my NAS could. I am aware of a BubbleUPnP application that can be bought to run on a PC that can act as an intermediate DLNA server and convert the format on-the-fly. Just seems complicated and/or hard work.