Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Device status "Normal" while rooted?

    I have the AT&T Note 2 (SGH-I317) with 4.1.2 stock firmware (stock ROM, stock recovery), but rooted. Recently, the AT&T OTA updater tried to apply 4.3 to my phone and failed (presumably because of root). Recently, I checked the Device Status menu, and under status, it stated my device was "Normal". Since I'm rooted, shouldn't it be "Modified" or something to that caliber? Has anyone experienced this with their Samsung device?
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,541 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Device status "Normal" while rooted?

    Some root methods somehow bypass the device status (or cosmetically say it is normal). Or, the OTA got that far, changed it and then it failed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Device status "Normal" while rooted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Some root methods somehow bypass the device status (or cosmetically say it is normal). Or, the OTA got that far, changed it and then it failed.
    I have a feeling it's the latter, because it used to be "Modified" (at least according to my memory). Should this affect any additional OTA updates? (after I unroot, of course)
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,541 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Device status "Normal" while rooted?

    Quote Originally Posted by netstars22 View Post
    I have a feeling it's the latter, because it used to be "Modified" (at least according to my memory). Should this affect any additional OTA updates? (after I unroot, of course)
    I am going to be honest, I so rarely unroot. Once I root, I stay that way, as typically I go from stock to a rooted stock ROM or AOSP.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Device status "Normal" while rooted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I am going to be honest, I so rarely unroot. Once I root, I stay that way, as typically I go from stock to a rooted stock ROM or AOSP.
    Fair enough. The only reason I was rooted was to use Greenify and some Xposed modules.
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,541 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Device status "Normal" while rooted?

    Quote Originally Posted by netstars22 View Post
    Fair enough. The only reason I was rooted was to use Greenify and some Xposed modules.
    Sorry I didn't really answer the question. If you are adventurous, you could flash a custom ROM based on AOSP and be at least on 4.4.3. Just make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM before doing anything.

Similar Threads

  1. 4.4 Root
    By salm04 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 01:47 AM
  2. Install 2.3 only apps on rooted Stock ROM
    By Clifford Bradford in forum Optimus V Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
  3. Just rooted, what's next?
    By scottcraft in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM
  4. Refresh Device
    By BlueEyesNotADragon in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 02:09 AM
  5. Install 2.3 only apps on rooted Stock ROM
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions