08-08-2014 07:49 AM
61 123
tools
    Oh, so you got your phone at last?
    The phone's Operating System will use up part of the internal storage...what's left is for you. You can see this by going to Settings>Storage. What 'other' is I don't know...use and enjoy your new phone!

Posted via Android Central App
    07-05-2014 01:10 PM
    Oh, so you got your phone at last?
    The phone's Operating System will use up part of the internal storage...what's left is for you. You can see this by going to Settings>Storage. What 'other' is I don't know...use and enjoy your new phone!

Thank you this is a screen shot of my internal memory breakdown I understand that the os will use dome space but not sure what other actually is? Is it all os some help removing dome if this would be appreciated also what are best launcher, sms, security and any other must have apps?

Attached Thumbnails What's the best phone-screenshot_2014-07-06-19-14-56.jpg  
    07-06-2014 04:42 PM
    I believe that Other is the Operating System.
    On your other requests I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to say, but others will I'm sure.

Sarwen28 likes this.
    07-06-2014 05:20 PM
    What do you use belodion
    07-07-2014 12:17 AM
    I use just what came with the phone. I have very few additional apps. I don't like to meddle too much. I am not adventurous. Perhaps as my knowledge and experience increase I may try this and that.

07-07-2014 04:00 AM
    I have been using go launcher but I have been hearing about nova so not sure which is best or if there is another option. I love exploring apps and what they can do and how they can my device I think that is why I love android because it gives you more options and also the ability to expand your memory.

07-07-2014 04:45 AM
    I am nervous of apps for fear that they will invade my phone and do malicious things or use large amounts of battery charge. I've installed the BBC weather app because in this country we have such large quantities of weather - the stuff is everywhere - that you need all the forecasts you can get, and the BBC does it well and is obviously trustworthy.

07-07-2014 05:31 AM
    I believe that Other is the Operating System.
    On your other requests I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to say, but others will I'm sure.

Yup Im pretty sure you are correct

Most apps in the playstore are safe. But check out the permissions before you install to double check. Also if unsure of an app you can always ask others before you install .
    belodion likes this.
    07-07-2014 05:46 AM
    Thank you davidnc what are your best apps and do you use a launcher like go or nova?
    07-07-2014 06:25 AM
    Thank you davidnc what are your best apps and do you use a launcher like go or nova?
    Your welcome

I do use Nova launcher,I just prefer it over stock launcher for better cutomizations.
    I have quite a few apps
    For your reference on your new phone I think this is the section that will interest you in the link below.

Edit: I sent you a PM (message on majority of my apps)

HTC Desire - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Sarwen28 likes this.
    07-07-2014 06:50 AM
    Yup Im pretty sure you are correct

Most apps in the playstore are safe. But check out the permissions before you install to double check. Also if unsure of an app you can always ask others before you install .
    I'm sure you're right. Normal owners happily use apps after all. It's just that we have so many problems with our devices that I've been reluctant to invite more by using apps. In all I suppose I've installed a couple of dozen on my Lumia 1020 and Nexus 5, with no problems except Facebook, installed only on the Nexus, and only at the insistence of friends. Within minutes, the Nexus froze, the only time it had ever done so. I uninstalled the app. I'm not saying there was a connection, but it's the sort of thing that's offputting.

07-07-2014 07:12 AM
    I'm sure you're right. Normal owners happily use apps after all. It's just that we have so many problems with our devices that I've been reluctant to invite more by using apps. In all I suppose I've installed a couple of dozen on my Lumia 1020 and Nexus 5, with no problems except Facebook, installed only on the Nexus, and only at the insistence of friends. Within minutes, the Nexus froze, the only time it had ever done so. I uninstalled the app. I'm not saying there was a connection, but it's the sort of thing that's offputting.

I am in the UK and can give you a list of some apps that always work well for me. I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but there are many good commercial apps you would be missing out on.
    I take it you use the Nexus 5 now more than the Nokia.
    I can put a list together this evening.
    I have used 2 Samsungs in the last 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    07-07-2014 07:32 AM
    I am in the UK and can give you a list of some apps that always work well for me. I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but there are many good commercial apps you would be missing out on.
    I take it you use the Nexus 5 now more than the Nokia.
    I can put a list together this evening.
    I have used 2 Samsungs in the last 2 years.

I don't want to put you to any trouble! I use both phones, the Lumia mainly for photography but we'd better not talk too much about Windows Phones here. For both phones, I am lacking a security app, apart from such security as may have been included with their respective Operating Systems. Greater detail on battery usage than I have now would be useful. Something that might help with battery life. Manual shutter speed control on Nexus 5's camera. An app to allow viewing hi-res photos on Lumia 1020's display (have discussed this over at WPC, can be done, but only sort-of). Bug detection...I used to have Watchdog Lite but for some reason uninstalled.
    Anything you may think worth my attention, feel free to suggest!

07-07-2014 07:52 AM
    I don't want to put you to any trouble! I use both phones, the Lumia mainly for photography but we'd better not talk too much about Windows Phones here. For both phones, I am lacking a security app, apart from such security as may have been included with their respective Operating Systems. Greater detail on battery usage than I have now would be useful. Something that might help with battery life. Manual shutter speed control on Nexus 5's camera. An app to allow viewing hi-res photos on Lumia 1020's display (have discussed this over at WPC, can be done, but only sort-of). Bug detection...I used to have Watchdog Lite but for some reason uninstalled.
    Anything you may think worth my attention, feel free to suggest!

I will give you a link to another thread when I put a little list. I don't think AC like us blocking the corridor of this quick q&a forum

I think Lookout has always worked best for me for security, but there's a debate as to whether any is needed. Lookout doesn't show as using much battery at all, but I think it does. I uninstalled it for four weeks recently.
    Gsam is the battery monitor I use from reading forums, but it might be Samsung specific. One of our most knowledgeable ambassador / moderators uses Battery Monitor which is also very detailed.
    More anon.

07-07-2014 12:59 PM
    The best Android phones | Android Central

Get the phone that checks off most of your boxes, knowing that there won't be a "perfect" phone.

Best (off-contract) price, flagship: Nexus 5, Moto X, OnePlus One

Best "budget": Moto G 4G LTE, Moto G, Moto E

Best all-around camera: LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Best low-light camera: HTC One (M8)

Best rugged flagship: Galaxy S5 Active

Best if Android updates are most important to you: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, any of the GPe, Moto X

Best speaker quality: HTC One (M8)

Best "small" flagship: Moto X, Z1 Compact

Best all-around: Samsung Galaxy S5

Best "large"/phablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Best if you don't want to look hard for accessories: Samsung Galaxy S5

Best if you're "stuck" on Verizon: Moto X

..of course, this is all my opinion.
    anon8380037 and davidnc like this.
    07-07-2014 01:34 PM
    Would you know any best for an HTC desire 300 just got one and what to explore its possibilities
    07-07-2014 04:21 PM
    You missed a word , you mean apps?
    07-07-2014 04:25 PM
    I did lol sorry. Would you be willing to still advise me on the best ....
    07-07-2014 04:31 PM
    Madd54: Thank you for your app guidance, which I imagine will also be of interest to Sarwen28.

Ry: You show a remarkable knowledge of devices and I think this would be of benefit to many members. It would be good if such lists could be permanently accessible in a suitable forum for members' convenient reference.

07-07-2014 04:45 PM
    Madd54: Thank you for your app guidance, which I imagine will also be of interest to Sarwen28.

Ry: You show a remarkable knowledge of devices and I think this would be of benefit to many members. It would be good if such lists could be permanently accessible in a suitable forum for members' convenient reference.

Just read this: The best Android phones | Android Central

The writers and editors here have way more knowledge than I do.
    07-07-2014 04:57 PM
    Okay but you condensed it into a much more accessible form!

07-07-2014 05:14 PM
    David how do I access pm's

07-08-2014 09:31 AM
    David how do I access pm's

You won't see them on the AC App yet. You can see your messages on the main website or when using the AC Forums or Tapatalk app.
    AC Forums app is an AC only version of Tapatalk, which covers a lot of sites.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet about recommended apps. Busy, and no battery yesterday.

07-08-2014 09:41 AM
    Don't know, but it has to be an Android.

07-08-2014 11:08 AM
    What other forums are worth using for android apps and HTC desire 300? I am not sure what messages app is good the one that is installed on phone doesn't have much to offer on the customisation front!!
    07-08-2014 03:21 PM
61 123