What's the best phone

Sarwen28

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi I need to replace my samsung s3 but only have £150 to spend any ideas on which would be best option I try to you my device to its max use the camera a lot, emails, games, viber I love being able to change layout like using go launcher and go SMS etc.

Sarwen28

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I know belodion but there is too much choice plus didn't make a good first choice with the Xperia e so want to make sure that I do I right this time HTC, or Nokia I have got it down to those 2

Sarwen28

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone I have just purchased an HTC desire 300 I Amin the process of transferring my contacts etc over from hold phone but my internal memory says there is 2.17gb of other? Does anyone know what that's is and how I can reduce/remove it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh, so you got your phone at last?
The phone's Operating System will use up part of the internal storage...what's left is for you. You can see this by going to Settings>Storage. What 'other' is I don't know...use and enjoy your new phone!

Posted via Android Central App

Sarwen28

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Oh, so you got your phone at last?
The phone's Operating System will use up part of the internal storage...what's left is for you. You can see this by going to Settings>Storage. What 'other' is I don't know...use and enjoy your new phone!

Thank you this is a screen shot of my internal memory breakdown I understand that the os will use dome space but not sure what other actually is? Is it all os some help removing dome if this would be appreciated also what are best launcher, sms, security and any other must have apps?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-06-19-14-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-06-19-14-56.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 10

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I believe that Other is the Operating System.
On your other requests I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to say, but others will I'm sure.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I use just what came with the phone. I have very few additional apps. I don't like to meddle too much. I am not adventurous. Perhaps as my knowledge and experience increase I may try this and that.

Sarwen28

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been using go launcher but I have been hearing about nova so not sure which is best or if there is another option. I love exploring apps and what they can do and how they can my device I think that is why I love android because it gives you more options and also the ability to expand your memory.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I am nervous of apps for fear that they will invade my phone and do malicious things or use large amounts of battery charge. I've installed the BBC weather app because in this country we have such large quantities of weather - the stuff is everywhere - that you need all the forecasts you can get, and the BBC does it well and is obviously trustworthy.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe that Other is the Operating System.
On your other requests I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to say, but others will I'm sure.

Yup Im pretty sure you are correct

Most apps in the playstore are safe. But check out the permissions before you install to double check. Also if unsure of an app you can always ask others before you install :).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you davidnc what are your best apps and do you use a launcher like go or nova?

Your welcome :)

I do use Nova launcher,I just prefer it over stock launcher for better cutomizations. :)
I have quite a few apps
For your reference on your new phone I think this is the section that will interest you in the link below.

Edit: I sent you a PM (message on majority of my apps)

HTC Desire - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yup Im pretty sure you are correct

Most apps in the playstore are safe. But check out the permissions before you install to double check. Also if unsure of an app you can always ask others before you install :).

I'm sure you're right. Normal owners happily use apps after all. It's just that we have so many problems with our devices that I've been reluctant to invite more by using apps. In all I suppose I've installed a couple of dozen on my Lumia 1020 and Nexus 5, with no problems except Facebook, installed only on the Nexus, and only at the insistence of friends. Within minutes, the Nexus froze, the only time it had ever done so. I uninstalled the app. I'm not saying there was a connection, but it's the sort of thing that's offputting.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you're right. Normal owners happily use apps after all. It's just that we have so many problems with our devices that I've been reluctant to invite more by using apps. In all I suppose I've installed a couple of dozen on my Lumia 1020 and Nexus 5, with no problems except Facebook, installed only on the Nexus, and only at the insistence of friends. Within minutes, the Nexus froze, the only time it had ever done so. I uninstalled the app. I'm not saying there was a connection, but it's the sort of thing that's offputting.

I am in the UK and can give you a list of some apps that always work well for me. I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but there are many good commercial apps you would be missing out on.
I take it you use the Nexus 5 now more than the Nokia.
I can put a list together this evening.
I have used 2 Samsungs in the last 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK and can give you a list of some apps that always work well for me. I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but there are many good commercial apps you would be missing out on.
I take it you use the Nexus 5 now more than the Nokia.
I can put a list together this evening.
I have used 2 Samsungs in the last 2 years.

I don't want to put you to any trouble! I use both phones, the Lumia mainly for photography but we'd better not talk too much about Windows Phones here. For both phones, I am lacking a security app, apart from such security as may have been included with their respective Operating Systems. Greater detail on battery usage than I have now would be useful. Something that might help with battery life. Manual shutter speed control on Nexus 5's camera. An app to allow viewing hi-res photos on Lumia 1020's display (have discussed this over at WPC, can be done, but only sort-of). Bug detection...I used to have Watchdog Lite but for some reason uninstalled.
Anything you may think worth my attention, feel free to suggest!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to put you to any trouble! I use both phones, the Lumia mainly for photography but we'd better not talk too much about Windows Phones here. For both phones, I am lacking a security app, apart from such security as may have been included with their respective Operating Systems. Greater detail on battery usage than I have now would be useful. Something that might help with battery life. Manual shutter speed control on Nexus 5's camera. An app to allow viewing hi-res photos on Lumia 1020's display (have discussed this over at WPC, can be done, but only sort-of). Bug detection...I used to have Watchdog Lite but for some reason uninstalled.
Anything you may think worth my attention, feel free to suggest!

I will give you a link to another thread when I put a little list. I don't think AC like us blocking the corridor of this quick q&a forum

I think Lookout has always worked best for me for security, but there's a debate as to whether any is needed. Lookout doesn't show as using much battery at all, but I think it does. I uninstalled it for four weeks recently.
Gsam is the battery monitor I use from reading forums, but it might be Samsung specific. One of our most knowledgeable ambassador / moderators uses Battery Monitor which is also very detailed.
More anon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The best Android phones | Android Central

Get the phone that checks off most of your boxes, knowing that there won't be a "perfect" phone.

Best (off-contract) price, flagship: Nexus 5, Moto X, OnePlus One

Best "budget": Moto G 4G LTE, Moto G, Moto E

Best all-around camera: LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Best low-light camera: HTC One (M8)

Best rugged flagship: Galaxy S5 Active

Best if Android updates are most important to you: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, any of the GPe, Moto X

Best speaker quality: HTC One (M8)

Best "small" flagship: Moto X, Z1 Compact

Best all-around: Samsung Galaxy S5

Best "large"/phablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Best if you don't want to look hard for accessories: Samsung Galaxy S5

Best if you're "stuck" on Verizon: Moto X

..of course, this is all my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol