Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Replacement Screen for Galaxy s5

Nicked my screen today. I went to order a replacement screen from Amazon and I see options for under 10 bucks. Anyone replace the screen themselves? Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: Replacement Screen for Galaxy s5

Do you mean the glass or the whole display with digitiser?

Posted via Android Central App

Screen only. Digitizer is fine

My word. It's well-known for being difficult. This may help:

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900 Repair Tutorial, Screen…:

Posted via Android Central App

Do yall know the exact name of the screen? I need one too

Global Posts
    6,014 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

1) "Screen" is glass + digitizer + LCD panel + LED panel.

2) If you mean the glass, PLEASE DON'T! You have to heat the screen just enough to get the glue (that holds the glass to the digitizer) to release freely, but not enough to damage the digitizer, and it has to be the same temperature all over the screen at just about the same moment. (You have only a few seconds from "glue melted just enough" to "damaged digitizer".) If you try and fail, you'll need a new digitizer and glass. You'll probably break something else replacing them, etc., etc. Then you'll try to find a shop that will accept a phone for repair that you've already worked on. (They don't want to, because they warrant the whole phone after the repair, so they have to take hours to make sure they caught everything you broke - hours you pay for. You don't want to pay the $300 diagnostic fee, so they're left with a phone they have to get a lien on, wait whatever period your state requires, then get legal ownership of the phone, repair it and try to sell it. They lose money. So most shops won't touch a phone like that.) Replacing the glass yourself usually ends up costing almost as much as a new phone.

Pay the repair shop (your carrier's repair center is the best place to start getting estimates) to replace the glass. It's not that expensive a repair, and they've done hundreds of them, so they don't even think about it. There's a point at which you just "know" that it's time to lift the glass. (And if they break something else, since the phone was checked out when you brought it in, it's their dime.

They'll either give you back a repaired phone (which could take a week or more) or, more likely, swap a refurb for the same price as the repair. You walk in with broken glass and walk out 10 minutes later with unbroken glass. Make sure that EVERYTHING is backed up to your computer AND a cloud account first. [If, when you get home, your computer decides to die, you still have a backup. If, OTOH, California slides into the Pacific while you're getting your phone replaced, your computer still has a backup. Both happening at the same time, Google and your computer permanently going down at the same time? Almost impossible, but back up to 2 cloud accounts with servers in different locations. You can probably get 5 free cloud accounts in 5 minutes.])