Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default How to enable mass storage for S5 and Win 7 64

I cannot get any pc to recognize the ssd card in my s5 and assign it a drive letter. I didn't have any problems doing so with previous Galaxy phones.
    I have tried several ssd cards and several diff pc's. Also tried another usb cable. Same result. The best I could come up with is explorer showing the phone memory and the ssd. But cannot address the ssd as a hard drive. What's up with that?

Default Re: How to enable mass storage for S5 and Win 7 64

USB Mass Storage was available on older Android phones, but is no longer available on newer phones, because they changed how the Internal Storage is partitioned. It used to be broken up into 2, sometimes 3 partitions, which would mean the user was often limited to a small partition for app installation. More modern phones have a unified single storage area, which means you can use the whole storage for apps. But this also means you can no longer unmount that storage from the phone and mount it to the computer as a hard drive--if you did, you'd break the system.