Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Unhappy Kitkat 4.4.4 problems with Contacts

I got an update for KitKat 4.4.4 recently. And after that many contact information are showing only number in call logs, whatsapp and even hangout. One more thing is when i open dial pad and start typing someones name, Mobile shows contacts on top of matching names but when i tap on the contact nothing happens (earlier it used to call that contact).

Any idea how to fix this?

Model: LG Nexus 5.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Kitkat 4.4.4 problems with Contacts

Well, that's horrible getting the update and it messed up your device. Anyway first of all backup your data and then perform a complete factory reset. Look what sometimes happens is after getting update to the new version the OS needs to reinitialise itself, and it looks same is the case with you !! Try doing a factory reset it will fix itself up .

I had the same problem and I found a solution, but maybe is not the same 'problem source' as yours.

On my case, I had more than 24000 contacts as showed by gmail[dot]com on desktop browser, a single contact gets auto-duplicated 24000 times!
    I needed to remove then from the web and then re-sync again my Nexus 5 to get it working fine again.
    Detailed explanation took from my post at Google Groups (title "Contact List and Contact Detail most times Blank after 4.4.4 update"):

From Contacts at gmail[dot]com on desktop I could use the tool 'Find and merge duplicates' under the 'More' menu (labels can be a bit different, I'm translating from the Spanish texts). I needed to use it several times to get all duplicates removed, since the tool has some internal limit per task.
    Thats was easy, but my phone didn't get in sync, contacts synchronization spent a lot of time to do the task and never finished. I did some failed attempts as: I went to Android Settings -> Apps, selected the 'contacts sync' app and deleted cache and data; I tried the same for the contacts app and dialer app (anyone looking to do this same be careful with any local data not synced since you will lost it; do a backup first if you will attempt but this was not the solution on my case).

Finally, the key was to unlink my gmail account from the device and linking it again, from Settings->Accounts->Google account->Synchronization->top right menu->delete account.
    I tried to do the same with the Gmail app as for previous apps, removing the data from settings->Apps->Gmail before linking it again, but not sure if this was needed. Once it finished loading again my emails, contacts, calendar events, and all other things (it take a bit, but was fast, you can review progress on Settings->Accounts->Google account->synchronization), my phone started to be faster but not enough still (a bit slow opening contacts but worked). I restarted the phone to ensure any 'garbage' in memory doesn't affect performance, and it runs fast now.

Hope it helps someone,
    Iago
    Thanked by:

Hopefully on the same topic..
    GS4 on T-Mobile.. I've noticed I've had to suddenly link a whole bunch of contacts back 2gether 4 diff emails, G+, Hangouts, regular Google contacts, etc, info 4 the same person.. Been a somewhat minor inconvenience so far.. but the biggest thing for me is, I can no longer add notes since 4.4.4.. Anyone else notice this prior or since? (Seems not all that long now between 4.4.2 &. 4, so I'm not really all that sure when I last was able to add a note..) Seriously had a ton of notes for a lot of contacts & things to remember ppl by.. (4 Example.. "Rachels, cousins, sisters, hot friend Rebecca"..*Oh yeah..I remember her..Been a while..wonder what she's up to..yada yada..* or "The GC on that job I did for Ron last April, wanted me to look at that house in Raynham- Good lead).. Really hoping they didn't do away with them..? Anyone?

I've played around with it a lot & depending on what groups, relationship, Android starred, etc, u have someone in, the "Add Another Field" list seems to change back & forth, especially in linked contacts.. but no combination seems 2 produce adding notes anymore.. This is distressing..

(Btw, thnx 4 the info prior.. If these contacts keep showing up separated & I'm havin 2 link em all back 2gether & or start duplicating, seems like good fix info.. Makes sense.. Maybe I'll try it anyways.. the notes thing might be related.. Idk.. I'll see what anyone else has 2 say on the matter 1st..)

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Yep, only way to fix this is to remove your Google account, then add it again. Contacts will take some time to display correctly.