Nexus 7 2013 wifi (rooted running Android 4.4.4) OTG MHL

A

AC Question

Hi,
Its probably best if I describe what I want to do.

I want to attach a microSD card and an external webcam. I also want the N7 to be powered.

The idea is for the webcam to make recordings and store them on the microSD card.

(I bought a 5 in 1 from XCSource.com through Amazon but the N7 doesn't recognise anything.)

TIA

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the application you are using, but I think the front camera would be sufficient in most use cases. Otherwise you would need to see if there is a Y adapter for USB to micro.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are also apps that turn the device's camera into a web cam - you can access the picture (and audio) on a web browser. That way, you can set a computer up to stream and record the video on its hard drive.

If you want to attach the camera and the SD card to the microUSB port, you'd need an OTG cable, and a powered USB hub (the webcam would probably draw more power than the phone could supply) - it should work since the two devices, camera and SD card are different classes of device - and an app that would record the video. (MHL is output - normally to a TV's HDMI port - not input.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs