Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default How to make the volume button take pictures on a Galaxy S5

I recently got a Galaxy S5 and would really like to be able to take pictures using the volume key. There doesn't seem to be any option for what the volume buttons do. Does anybody know how to enable this?

Default Re: How to make the volume button take pictures on a Galaxy S5

Not sure if the S5 changed this or not, but it was there on the S4, it's here on my Note 3, I can't imagine why they'd remove that from the S5.

With the camera app open, tap the "Settings" (Gear) icon, scroll to the "More Settings" (yet again, a Gear) tab and tap "Volume Key". The option to use this to take pictures is to set it to "The Camera Key".

There isn't that option with Galaxy S5. I was hoping there was some other way to do it because I can't do it that way.

Hummm... that's odd. I also keep reading people saying that they can take pictures with the volume rocker on the S5 by default and can't actually turn that OFF!

In any case, if for some reason you can't, you could use another camera app like Camera ZoomFX or the 'stock' KitKat camera as those do let you assign camera functions to the volume rocker. Or you could download an app that allows you to customize button presses, but I'm not sure if you'd need root for something like this to work (I think not for the volume rocker, yes for the power button, though)