Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By belodion
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Large Battery Drop

Oops...my battery fell from 100% to 74% overnight...normally lose 2%-5%. Happened once before, with Android OS the culprit again. Hopefully another one-off. Just to let other members with similar experiences know, you're not alone.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Battery Drop-screenshot_2014-07-01-10-38-04.jpg  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Large Battery Drop

I think the culprit is Wifi. I hadn't switched it on but phone is set to allow Google to use Wifi for mapping purposes or something of the sort, normally uses about 2% overnight so no problem. Android OS hand-in-hand with Wifi ate most of the 26% battery charge lost overnight. Don't know whether it shows on screenshot, but while making the latter, I unintentionally turned phone off....as can be seen, this killed the wifi.
    Hope thus may be of some use to others with similar problem.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Battery Drop-screenshot_2014-07-01-13-16-59.jpg  
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

When I say turned off, I mean fully powered down.

Yeah, sometimes Google Play Services (which, IMHO should be broken down into all its tiny pieces to figure out when something goes wrong) can act a little crazy.

If this becomes a constant issue, though, what usually clears it is to uninstall updates to it, reboot, and let it re-install itself. I know this helped me go from 10 hours per charge on my old Note 2 to nearly all day long. And yeah, locations services are the most power-hungry features. Also, even with WiFi on, unless your phone is actually sending/receiving anything, it shouldn't be that much of a drain overnight. Mine, when I forget to charge it at nighttime, usually drains about 5 or 6% with WiFi on.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I think that Google used my wifi and forgot to switch it off. Perhaps I should bill them.

SpookDroid likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Black to normal this morning.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Battery Drop-screenshot_2014-07-02-09-36-42.jpg  
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

By which I mean, back to normal.