Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By wizzrah
  • 1 Post By mogelijk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

So my Lumia 920 finally bit the dust, so I decided to use my Moto X that I got during the fire sale. So, I'm sticking with it for some time , but I have a few questions that would really make this easier for me.

1) is there a launcher that resembles Windows Phone? I know default Android may be for some, but not for me. Maybe something where the app list is vertical instead of ugly grids? Idk, something.

2) how do I locally save xbox music? It says that it can't do offline, but that doesn't make sense.

3) what's the best keyboard? The default one is mindnumbingly worse than the default windows phone version.

4) any good recommended cases for the Moto X? This thing is much more fragile than my Nokia, so it needs a case.

5) is there any way to change that Google search bar that's on the top of the home screen to Bing (humor me)?

Edit: also, why does the YouTube app sign me out every time I kill it?
    Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Few questions when setting up my Moto X....

Quote Originally Posted by Jas00555 View Post
    So my Lumia 920 finally bit the dust, so I decided to use my Moto X that I got during the fire sale. So, I'm sticking with it for some time , but I have a few questions that would really make this easier for me.

1) is there a launcher that resembles Windows Phone? I know default Android may be for some, but not for me. Maybe something where the app list is vertical instead of ugly grids? Idk, something.

2) how do I locally save xbox music? It says that it can't do offline, but that doesn't make sense.

3) what's the best keyboard? The default one is mindnumbingly worse than the default windows phone version.

4) any good recommended cases for the Moto X? This thing is much more fragile than my Nokia, so it needs a case.

5) is there any way to change that Google search bar that's on the top of the home screen to Bing (humor me)?

Edit: also, why does the YouTube app sign me out every time I kill it?
    Thanks in advance!

1) There is a launcher that resembles Windows Phone called Launcher 8: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.lx.launcher8
    2) I believe there should be a toggle in your playlists that allows you to make it available offline.
    3) I suggest you try Swiftkey: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...htype.swiftkey
    4) Incipio is a really good case maker: Amazon.com: Incipio MT-243 DualPro for Motorola Moto X - Retail Packaging - Black/Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    5) You'll have to get the Bing app. You can't change that search bar.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 and Jas00555 like this.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

1) There are a few ways of doing this, with varying degrees of difficulty. It looks like there are a few in the Play Store, you can find many just by searching "Launcher 8".

2). I don't use Xbox Music, hopefully someone else here can give you an answer.

3) Most people tend to like Swiftkey or Swype. Many are liking the new "L" Keyboard, which is the keyboard in the upcoming version of Android.

4) A lot depends on what type of case you like. This thread should help you find a case you like that people recommend.

5) Not without rooting and putting a custom ROM on your phone. The Bing app does have a search widget that you can add to your home screen.

Not sure why the YouTube app is signing you out, it doesn't seem like that should happen. OTOH, why are you killing the app? There is no reason to "kill" apps, in fact it is often counter productive to do it (depending on what you mean by kill).
    Thanked by:
    Jas00555 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok, I installed launcher 8 and it got rid of the Google logo and I made bing the search engine when I swipe up, so that's awesome. SwiftKey is also pretty cool.

By "kill" I mean go to the multitasking menu thing and swiping it to the right. I've always killed apps that way to save battery life. Are you saying it doesn't drain my battery?

Global Posts
    4,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Ok, I installed launcher 8 and it got rid of the Google logo and I made bing the search engine when I swipe up, so that's awesome. SwiftKey is also pretty cool.

By "kill" I mean go to the multitasking menu thing and swiping it to the right. I've always killed apps that way to save battery life. Are you saying it doesn't drain my battery?

Multiple applications running in the background will drain your battery. It's good practice to close them if you don't need them.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

It is actually very questionable that quitting apps will help battery life. In fact, some tests on phones actually show you use more battery by closing unused apps. I'd link an article from Lifehacker but, for some odd reason, the forum is thinking it is spam. If you are not going to use the app again for a week or so you might save battery, if you are going to use it within the next day it may be using more battery.