Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Unregistered

Default Galaxy s3 stuck

Hi, I downloaded the latest update for my galaxy s3 yesterday and ever since my phone won't start, it stays stuck on the Samsung screen glowing blue in the background and when i turn it off it turns itself back on, all I can do is take the battery out. I had it set previously using next launcher, I don't know if that could be the problem. Any help would be appreciated, I really cannot afford to lose the messages and other data saved on this phone I'll do anything to avoid it

Default Re: Galaxy s3 stuck

It's stuck in a boot loop...have you tried a soft reset?

Posted via Android Central App

Sorry it took so long to reply I had to make an account... I'm not sure what you mean by soft reset. If all you mean is turning on and off with the power button then yes I've tried it multiple times

Something else I should note. If I plug the phone in to change before it turns on the screen stays completely black and it vibrates every few seconds as if it were just being plugged in

Can anyone please help? I can't figure out what to do and it's important that i get access to my phone soon!

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Kolosxyz View Post
    Bump
    One thing you can try is doing a wipe cache though stock recovery.The attached video shows how to do a factory reset as well as a wipe cache.
    But all you want to try is to wipe cache so you don't loose any data.So you want to skip the factory data wipe part
    So once in stock recovery scroll all the way down with the volume button to highlight wipe cache
    Push volume button to execute.
    Then after complete push volume button again with reboothighlighted.

I have tried this several times but almost instantly after pressing the reboot button after clearing cache it says error, the menu disappears and then it just sits there

After trying this again it sat at the error screen for about a minute and then re-entered the loop of being stuck at the glowing samsung screen

Guys I am in serious need of help here does anyone have any suggestions?

Guys I am in serious need of help here does anyone have any suggestions?
    Since nothing else has worked the only other thing I have to suggest is a FDR the way the vid shows in post #7 which if you went that route you would lose all data,etc,....Someone else may have other suggestion(s) but that's all I can think of from reading your previous posts in this thread.

I second davidnc's suggestion.

Global Posts
    2,560 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock faux123

Default Galaxy s3 stuck

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    Since nothing else has worked the only other thing I have to suggest is a FDR the way the vid shows in post #7 which if you went that route you would lose all data,etc,....Someone else may have other suggestion(s) but that's all I can think of from reading your previous posts in this thread.
    This is why iCloud is a nice feature on all of the Apple devices. Android needs something like that (without root)!

Default Galaxy s3 stuck

Quote Originally Posted by DroidArmy View Post
    This is why iCloud is a nice feature on all of the Apple devices. Android needs something like that (without root)!
    I have this functionality on my nexus 7 and its not rooted. Android device manager, google drive and you can select the option to automatically restore apps on the device. I'm confused

Global Posts
    2,560 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by kyea67 View Post
    I have this functionality on my nexus 7 and its not rooted. Android device manager, google drive and you can select the option to automatically restore apps on the device. I'm confused
    It's troublesome and not very streamlined. That's the issue

Lol I can't believe no one's asked you the basics??
    Are you rooted?? Do you have a custom recovery?? Can you get into download mode?? Who's your carrier? ? Answer back I can help np

Sent from my Flashvetrin using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1drummernamedmarcus View Post
    Lol I can't believe no one's asked you the basics??
    Are you rooted?? Do you have a custom recovery?? Can you get into download mode?? Who's your carrier? ? Answer back I can help np

Sent from my Flashvetrin using Tapatalk
    Okay well the phone is not rooted, I can enter both recovery and download modes and my carrier is bell(I have the North American version of the s3). I should also note that after leaving the phone sitting overnight I tried again to turn it on and when it stuck at the flashing samsung screen, the brightness dimmed like normal to adjust to the light of the room, and after a few seconds I could feel the phone vibrating a few times so I believe it was recieving messages I had gotten overnight, it seems the only problem is that the home screen won't load, which(and I'm just guessing) might have to do with the software update being incompatible with next launcher? Thanks for the first helpful reply by the way

Kolosxyz, we've all tried to help with what knowledge and judgement we've got...that may not be enough, but it's all we've got to offer.

Okay well the phone is not rooted, I can enter both recovery and download modes and my carrier is bell(I have the North American version of the s3). I should also note that after leaving the phone sitting overnight I tried again to turn it on and when it stuck at the flashing samsung screen, the brightness dimmed like normal to adjust to the light of the room, and after a few seconds I could feel the phone vibrating a few times so I believe it was recieving messages I had gotten overnight, it seems the only problem is that the home screen won't load, which(and I'm just guessing) might have to do with the software update being incompatible with next launcher? Thanks for the first helpful reply by the way
    You can get yourself a stock odin for your device from sams mobile.
    Flash back to stock make sure it matches your device..
    Once your up and running root it.
    wich should include cwm.
    get the latest twrp. From this point you can flash a custom rom from xda that will get you out of stock and allow you to make a backup.. on like your ext.. youll be safe then and off and running on a device thats not lynched.. if you cant find your stock odin from sams look at galaxy note 3 root . Com

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Ps glad i could help

Ps glad i could help

I might need a little more, as I'm very far from fully understanding everything about my phone. With your method will I be able to save everything that's currently stored on my s3?

I might need a little more, as I'm very far from fully understanding everything about my phone. With your method will I be able to save everything that's currently stored on my s3?
    No once you flash stock odin it will wipe and reload you device it will be like it was from the day you bought it..

No once you flash stock odin it will wipe and reload you device it will be like it was from the day you bought it..

Okay but that goes back to my original problem which is that I can't afford to lose the data on my phone, messages, photos, etc. and I'm trying to find a way to keep that intact. I was wondering if there is a way that maybe when I have access to my computer again(I'm on vacation for 2 weeks) I could somehow back up the data so that when I reset the phone it will still be intact

Okay but that goes back to my original problem which is that I can't afford to lose the data on my phone, messages, photos, etc. and I'm trying to find a way to keep that intact. I was wondering if there is a way that maybe when I have access to my computer again(I'm on vacation for 2 weeks) I could somehow back up the data so that when I reset the phone it will still be intact
    Well the phone is in a state known as soft brick. it usally comes from a bad download or incompatible software. If the phone cant boot then nothing can be seen.. so unless your stuff like photos were saved on an ext sd then theres no saving it.Factory data reset wont work at this point because the phone has not fully booted into the system.. your stock recovery at this point has a image of this new firmare and it loops to an image that is no good.
    Ota or "over the air" is bad. Your only hope would be if your pc sees your stuff but it wont because the system wont boot..
    also if you do get this ota to boot your stuff will be gone.. its a new flash.. probeblly kit kat..