Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help with newer android UI (Upgraded from much older version - find many roadblocks)

Hi Everyone,

I know I'm behind the times, but I just recently upgraded from an HTC Rezound to an HTC M8/One. (I know it was about time).

I'm finding I'm really having some problems with the newer style Android UI and even though I've been searching around for a while, I still can't find good answers to help so I thought I'd ask here. I apologize if this has already been talked through. One hand operation is very important because of a disability.

- There's no longer the ability to have a home screen widget/shortcut to put the phone in Airplane mode (I often need to do this in spotty areas to prevent battery drain from searching and need to be able to use one hand)
    - The "Options" menu from the bottom is gone so I can no longer use the phone with one hand instead having to go to the top to the new "action menu" which isn't always there. Sometimes the three dots are at the bottom. Why not just have kept it?
    - I can no longer force my phone to stay on 3G (Where I live 4G comes in and out so I often need to wait while the phone flips back and forth). I've tried the 4G switch app, but it seems to change the radios to 3G for a short time then cuts off all data).
    - Is there a way to turn off the "Google Now" but still retain the ability to use the dictation feature?
    - Over all it seems like there's a loss of granularity and things come "packaged"

I love the phone, it's a huge upgrade especially in terms of sound!

Thanks!

Global Posts
    18,548 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Help with newer android UI (Upgraded from much older version - find many roadblocks)

Welcome to the forums.
    1. Been a while since I had stock Sense, but if you long press the power button, does Airplane mode come up as one of the options along with power off and reboot?
    2. Unknown.
    3. Is there an option in Settings>wireless and networks>Mobile networks to shift to 3G?
    4. No
    5. I don't quite get what you mean.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    wizzrah likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Help with newer android UI (Upgraded from much older version - find many roadblocks)

Hi Thank you for replying.
    1. Yes it does, but I still need a home screen button like before - I often don't use the power button (The double tap to turn it on is great!)
    2. Options menu - there must be an alternative way to get it back.
    3. That's where I was changing it in the old phone. I could simply select "CDMA only" but they have removed that option even though the phone still can do it.
    4. I saw other people had complain to google about seperating the dictation from google now. If you disable google search in the app list, it also takes out dictation.
    5. It was just a general statement saying that as things are bundled in (Like in #4) and other changes happen, it just seems like Android has become a bit less granular than it was before (Which is why some people like it). I feel a bit like I'm buying a higher package from the Dish/Cable TV Folks just to get one channel.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Nekov View Post
    Hi Thank you for replying.
    1. Yes it does, but I still need a home screen button like before - I often don't use the power button (The double tap to turn it on is great!)
    2. Options menu - there must be an alternative way to get it back.
    3. That's where I was changing it in the old phone. I could simply select "CDMA only" but they have removed that option even though the phone still can do it.
    4. I saw other people had complain to google about seperating the dictation from google now. If you disable google search in the app list, it also takes out dictation.
    5. It was just a general statement saying that as things are bundled in (Like in #4) and other changes happen, it just seems like Android has become a bit less granular than it was before (Which is why some people like it). I feel a bit like I'm buying a higher package from the Dish/Cable TV Folks just to get one channel.

Thanks!
    Hello. I'll try to help you out too!

1) Maybe this airplane mode widget will do the trick: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...airplanewidget

2) I've been looking for an answer, but I haven't found anything on it.

3)Here, I think I have the solution for you. Type " *#*#4636#*#*" in your dialer and a settings menu will come up. Select "phone information" and go to where it says "set preferred network type". You might have to scroll down a bit. You can change what type of connection you want there.

4) I don't think you can separate these two. The dictation is part of Google search.

5) I kinda get what you mean, but I'm still fuzzy on what you exactly mean. My guess is, you're paying for a lot of stuff when you only use it for one thing? Maybe explain it again.

Hope this helps you.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by wizzrah; 07-03-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html