Why are the core Google Apps constantly ballooning in size?! I'm drowning!

A

AC Question

Hi buddies!

I'm sincerely sorry if this topic already exists or if I'm posting in the wrong section but I'm incredibly lazy... so...

I have an Acer Liquid E2 duo running Android 4.2.2. The phone has a pathetically small partition for app installs. I knew this prior to purchase and didn't think it'd matter because I only use a few apps anyway (once you have Chrono Trigger what else do you really need, let's be honest...) However, I've recently encountered a problem with pretty much all the Google-brand apps (and Facebook too) that's really crippling my usage of the phone: with each update (there've been about 2 since I bought the phone) the apps seem to balloon in size. For example, rolled back without updates Google + takes up about 6 - 7 meg, but somehow it has swollen to 50+ meg. FYI, this does not include cache size, I regularly clear the cache, and clear my history in Chrome, etc. Even resorting to a full clearing of the data via Android App Manager each updated Google app seems to take up at least 20 - 30 meg, sometimes much more. I can't see what these apps are doing now that warrant such a growth in size - why does the Google Search app have to be 60meg? WHY? What's he building in there? I just don't understand... are the updates just stacking endlessly on top of one-another?

My current work-around for this issue has been to roll-back and disable unnecessary Google Apps, like Music, News and Hangouts that didn't use anyway, so fine, no problem there... the Facebook app is doing the same thing, but I guess that's OK because I can just use a browser to check what all my boring friends are doing... getting married, having kids and *yawn* don't care anyway, DISABLE. But there are some apps that I DO want to use which seem to just be progressively eating all the space in my phone... it's like some kind of cyber-nightmare. It's like the frickin' digital Blob, I swear. What is up, Google? I want to keep using these apps because they're useful and blah-de-blah, but it's getting to the point where I literally can't continue to do so.

Help me internet! Help me! (please try to keep your replies short without any multimedia otherwise my phone will explode, I'll probably die and you'll have that on your conscience.)

Thanks in advance.

Tom

P.S. - other info: I have an SD card, but obviously I'm not allowed to move the built-in apps to that.
P.P.S - I don't really want to root my phone because of aforementioned laziness and limited aspirations.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd chalk it up to the fact that apps are becoming more advanced with more functions--and that means larger size. It's the nature of technology and software. As phones get more powerful, the software advances to utilize that power. Unfortunately, it means that older/obsolete phones suffer from it. I can only suggest that you look for a new phone that has plenty of memory and a decent processor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol