11-13-2015 11:15 AM
35 12
tools Reply
    With 50 MB I'd honestly just not even use mobile data. I'd use my phone strictly on wifi only. 50 MB has very little breathing room.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    VDub2174 and monsieurms like this.
    07-08-2014 03:50 PM
    We like and wanted to help you OP / Original Poster / Questioner.
    I am sure you didn't know you were creating conflicting threads.
    We tried to give an honest answer saying it won't be enough. Some have proved it is possible. It would be very hard to stick to. You possibly had limited time to get to a store or order one.

Let us know what you are thinking.

What the deal was and the extra charges would be interesting too, but you can keep that to yourself.
    07-08-2014 04:03 PM
    What monthly data plan do you think is good for the S5; 50mb, 300mb or 500mb. My house has wifi and I will only do a few (5 or 6) google searches a day, like very light usage, I don't depend on data, but I want to use my phone to its full potential. I will do all my downloads and emailing on wifi, so that's not an issue. I'm also out of my house for 8 hours a day (not counting weekends), if that's any help. Finally, will android use a lot (like more than 1mb) background data?? Thank you! All help appreciated.
    Unless you turn data off until you know you are at somewhere with wifi that won't last a day.
    UJ95x likes this.
    07-08-2014 05:46 PM
    No!

And here's a sneaky data plan killer many totally overlook: MMS!
    Consider that sending any image or video that you send via SMS/MMS will always be sent via mobile networks. Even if you're tightly wrapped into a strong WiFi bubble like at home or at work. SMS/MMS are always sent via mobile networks. Eating up your data plan real fast!

So, to the OP: forget sending photos and videos via SMS/MMS totally! As in: completely! Use only internet apps when in a WiFi like eMail or IM (Instant Messaging, like Kik, Line, Tango, Viber, Telegram). And Dropbox. Dropbox, or similar, is your friend. You can set it to sync only when you're in range of a (specific, if you're particular) WiFi hotspot. Again, like at home or at work, etc.

Oh, and you can go wild on pure text SMS if you get an appropriate contract, because those are microscopically small files. MMS messages, however, are at least hundreds but usually thousands of times larger files. And they count as mobile data.

So it looks as if you're never going to be using the S5 to its full potential, OP. Not even close.
    I would go for a refurbished S3, under warranty, if I were you and get a much better data plan. Mine is 1,2GB/month. With very light mobile use I can manage to stay within that range. But only just. No live streaming video News, sports games, or movies on mobile! Ever! Even though my phone could handle it just fine. My wallet can't. Or at least won't.
    07-08-2014 11:44 PM
    This was asked 6 times and I'm really sad!!! No one is giving me a purely honest answer. I am going to get an samsung galaxy s5, with a 50mb plan. This is all I can afford, no one is giving me detail, only the 3 people stated above. I have wifi most of the time and I will only go to school without wifi!!!! Is 50mb enough???!!!?? Plz help!!!! How many searches on chrome can I do (with data compression/reduction)??? Please help me!!! I need honest opinions, don't be afraid to contradict with my views. Simply tell me, is 50mb enough?? Plz help me :-(
    Everyone has given you the answer, but you don't want to hear it. The answer is NO. 50mb will not be enough. Stop asking the same question over and over. You already have the answer.
    safetytx likes this.
    07-09-2014 01:43 PM
    This thread has legs, it just keeps on running...I got a tablet for some elderly folks back home and even told them to get at least 1 GB / month data:-)
    07-09-2014 04:52 PM
    No!

And here's a sneaky data plan killer many totally overlook: MMS!
    Consider that sending any image or video that you send via SMS/MMS will always be sent via mobile networks. Even if you're tightly wrapped into a strong WiFi bubble like at home or at work. SMS/MMS are always sent via mobile networks. Eating up your data plan real fast!

So, to the OP: forget sending photos and videos via SMS/MMS totally! As in: completely! Use only internet apps when in a WiFi like eMail or IM (Instant Messaging, like Kik, Line, Tango, Viber, Telegram). And Dropbox. Dropbox, or similar, is your friend. You can set it to sync only when you're in range of a (specific, if you're particular) WiFi hotspot. Again, like at home or at work, etc.

Oh, and you can go wild on pure text SMS if you get an appropriate contract, because those are microscopically small files. MMS messages, however, are at least hundreds but usually thousands of times larger files. And they count as mobile data.

So it looks as if you're never going to be using the S5 to its full potential, OP. Not even close.
    I would go for a refurbished S3, under warranty, if I were you and get a much better data plan. Mine is 1,2GB/month. With very light mobile use I can manage to stay within that range. But only just. No live streaming video News, sports games, or movies on mobile! Ever! Even though my phone could handle it just fine. My wallet can't. Or at least won't.
    Yeah, but SMS/MMS run through a separate section of mobile data; they do not count against your data allowance, they count against your messaging limit and have a different rate than mobile data packets.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-09-2014 05:55 PM
    SMS/MMS run through a separate section of mobile data;
    Correct.

they do not count against your data allowance, they count against your messaging limit and have a different rate than mobile data packets.
    Incorrect: they count against both!

However, there are many contracts with limitless SMS (not limitless MMS!), because SMS traffic costs ISPs/telco providers virtually nothing to run. Get one of those.
    07-09-2014 06:42 PM
    Here I will give the simple answer. YES

Here is more detail. Yes a 50mb service will work for an S5 but it is freaking pointless and not enough. You should just get a feature phone till you can afford a real data plan. There is no "need" for a smartphone with a data plan over just a feature phone. You need things like food, water, and air not a smartphone.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-10-2014 12:27 AM
    When you said 1mb could get you 50 e-mails a day, is that about the same for iMessage?
    11-13-2015 11:15 AM
35 12