Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is 256MB RAM sufficient?

    My S2 is dieing *dramatic music playing* major screen glitch that could render the phone useless depending on what you want to do as the bottom half of the screen blacks out.

    I know I have a Lumia but still doesn't fulfil my feature needs.

    Im looking to replace it with a cheap new Huawei Ascend Y220 but it only has 256MB RAM, 1GHz dual core and Gingerbread. Im a little cautious as im not sure how applications I frequently use (such as whats app and google chrome) will function with such low RAM ?

    Also considering Samsung galaxy pocket /plus/Y and LG L1 II.

    Samsungs offering is tempting with their 1GB pm, 1 year wifi promotion but will cost a lot more.

    Does anyone have experience with either of the devices listed above?

    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by stalemate1; 07-08-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    256MB of RAM at this point is incredibly low. The OS will probably use half, which will leave 100 or so for you.

    I would also advise to stay away from Samsung's low end offerings, as TouchWiz makes those decent specced phones a lot slower than they should be.

    Are these your only options? If possible, I'd get a Moto G or Moto E.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    256MB of RAM at this point is incredibly low. The OS will probably use half, which will leave 100 or so for you.

    I would also advise to stay away from Samsung's low end offerings, as TouchWiz makes those decent specced phones a lot slower than they should be.

    Are these your only options? If possible, I'd get a Moto G or Moto E.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    I cant stretch my budget that far.

    I mean at least it uses an older version of Android (2.3) which should be a lot less hungry for resources compared too Gelly Bean, as it was built for much older (weaker) hardware.

    But do you think it will be sufficient to run what's app or Google Chrome without issues?

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    I cant stretch my budget that far.

    I mean at least it uses an older version of Android (2.3) which should be less hungry for resources.

    But do you think it will be sufficient to run what's app or Google Chrome without issues?

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    What's your budget limit? The Moto E is a little over $100, and depending on which carrier you have, the Moto G can be $100-200.

    Those phones really aren't worth the trouble they'll cause you. If at all possible, I'd keep using the S2 until you have enough for one of Moto's offerings.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    B. Diddy likes this.
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,085 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    sufficient to run what's app or Google Chrome without issues?
    Chrome app needs Android 4.0+ .... What'sapp can run as low as 2.1.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM sufficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    What's your budget limit? The Moto E is a little over $100, and depending on which carrier you have, the Moto G can be $100-200.

    Those phones really aren't worth the trouble they'll cause you. If at all possible, I'd keep using the S2 until you have enough for one of Moto's offerings.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    $40-$50 is my budget.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Chrome app needs Android 4.0+ .... What'sapp can run as low as 2.1.
    And any idea for the other popular browsers such as opera or dolphin?
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  8. #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,085 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    And any idea for the other popular browsers such as opera or dolphin?
    Opera mini is for Android 1.5+: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.mini.android
    Opera classic - 1.6+ https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rowser.classic
    Firefox - 2.2+ : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ozilla.firefox

    Dolphin and Opera browser are 4.0+

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    stalemate1 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Chrome app needs Android 4.0+ .... What'sapp can run as low as 2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Opera mini is for Android 1.5+: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.mini.android
    Opera classic - 1.6+ https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rowser.classic
    Firefox - 2.2+ : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ozilla.firefox

    Dolphin and Opera browser are 4.0+
    Thank you for this information, where did you find all this information? As there are a few more apps I want to look up.
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,085 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is 256MB RAM enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    Thank you for this information, where did you find all this information? As there are a few more apps I want to look up.
    On the desktop version of play. On each app toward the bottom is miscellaneous info among that is lowest Android version.

    Brought to you by CM11, an M8, and the AC Forums App.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    stalemate1 and UJ95x like this.

Similar Threads

  1. S5 wallpaper is changing automatically
    By SlalomShop in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
  2. Why is this considered as spamming?
    By stalemate1 in forum AndroidCentral.com - Site News, Feedback and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM
  3. Underlined O. What is it?
    By droidntn in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
  4. Notification when sent text is received
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions