Data alternative to WiFi and Phone Network for Cellphone

A

AC Question

I live in an area where all the phone networks we've tried are crap [down in a canyon in a hilly area]. We've tried AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Along with that, we live in an apartment complex and everybody has a WiFi. There are so many WiFi's in the area that doing things like posting photos to Facebook from a cell phone is frustrating, at best [the WiFi is so bad, here, that I've resorted to networking all of the PCs in the place by wire, and the Roku, too!].

I don't see a way to post a screen shot from the WiFi Analyzer app I have on my Cell Phone, but if I could, you would see how congested our WiFi airwaves are!!

In other words, everything has gone to wires except the cell phones and tablets--only because we haven't found a way. And, that's my question. Can anyone think of a way? Or more broadly, can anyone think of a solution to this data conundrum?

I tried a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater but it suffered from the same issue -- unable to deal with all the WiFi interference [a lot of the WiFi's are on channels other than 1, 6 & 11 so there's, probably, a lot of adjacent channel interference].

Another possibility would be to educate my neighbors -- if that's even possible, so they only use channels 1, 6 & 11 -- {"Howdy neighbor? Mind if I ask what channel your WiFi is set to? You don't know or even know how to check? Mind if I check for you? Which Uncle are you referring to?"}, but that would only last until the next service call or the next tenant turnaround (surprisingly frequent).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! One solution would be to use the 5 GHz bandwidth, which is generally less congested than the conventional 2.4 GHz. But you'd need a device that has 5 GHz capability, and not all of them do. (And of course, you'd need a router that broadcasts on 5 GHz as well.)

If you're primarily concerned with cell reception at home, you could inquire about signal boosters for your house. On T-Mobile, I can get a Cel-Fi signal booster for free, which boosts my signal from 1-2 bars to 5 bars when I'm on a call. Other wireless companies may charge for signal boosters, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781