Gallery only shows weird icon, no photos/images

Eddie Drueding

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a Motorola. The camera and gallery have been working fine until this weekend, when it converted all the photos (except 3) to .png and now only show this icon:

camerabug.png

No files/images even show up in the dcim foller.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Did this seem to coincide with any recent app installations?

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. Then open Gallery again and wait for it to repopulate. Still the same problem?

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with a Galaxy S4 GPE, which I thought was tied to the 4.4.4 update, but now I'm not sure.

When I go into the Gallery, it shows most of my folders correctly, but one folder only has a blank tile. The next couple folders show ok, then the rest of the tiles after that are blank.

If I go into a folder, most of the time the tiles are blank, even if the folder showed an icon.

Most of the images are on an SD card, and when I pull the card to look at the images on my PC, they all seem fine, and I haven't had any errors loading the card on the phone or the PC.

This happens in both Gallery and Photos, so I'm assuming it's not related to the card-- something ES File Explorer has no issues with it.

I've tried both clearing cache and data for Gallery and Media Storage, as well as rebooting immediately after clearing that data, and I've tried using Scan Media and Rescan SD to repopulate the data, all with no luck so far.

The only thing I *haven't* tried doing so far is selectively pulling out folders to see if there's bad content in there somewhere that's messing up the whole process.

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Still having the issue on my end, but I've narrowed it down a bit to see that it's specific to certain images- for some reason, if these images are present in the gallery, it screws up some process and the whole app is then borked.

Annoyingly, some of these images are years old, and worked perfectly for most of the year I had the phone-- SOMETHING must have changed in the background to cause this, but I don't know what.

All I've been able to see is the following:

1- Photos will often show the image as a pink-and-green "negative" of the original. This at least allows me to find the offending image:

Screenshot_2014-07-10-13-29-23.jpg

2- Saving the photo again seems to fix it.

The only think I've seen in common so far is that the images that break it all seem to be stuff that I edited way back when with CS2, but so were images that work. I don't know if Androidcentral is going to strip anything out, but here's examples of stuff that failed, then worked after editing:

Original:
original.jpg

Re-saved with Gimp:

updated.jpg

Very annoying, as I really don't want to deal with finding all the bad ones and replacing them one at a time.

Anyone seen this before? Simple fix?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995