Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Samsung Account auto backup

Hi,

Have been trying to recover some photos accidentally deleted from my S4 a few days ago but without success (in fact one of the software utilities I tried appears to have killed my PC...) My fail safe backup of Dropbox failed to work for some reason which is really annoying

As a last resort I was holding out a minuscule hope that the Samsung Account auto backup might have backed up the some/all the photos I lost. I'm fairly sure it was turned on after I had an old phone stolen, and according to the Samsung website it *should* activate provided the wifi connection is on, the screen is off and it has enough battery. Worryingly though the 'auto backup' folder in my gallery currently has about 50 photos in there that aren't particularly recent.

Is it possible my lost photos were backed up to the Samsung account? I don't want to risk trying to restore from the most recent backup as this would definitely over write whatever is left on the internal storage :/

Default Re: Samsung Account auto backup

Have you already tried your Google account?

The Samsung Account settings on my Note 3 does not sync photos, just Calendar, Contacts, Internet, (+ notes and scrapbook).
    Have you gone into the Sync Settings of your Samsung account on the phone and saw photos sync there. Master Sync needs to be on to tick them, but you say you don't want to do that.
    I am not clear on the other parts of your story but someone will be.
    Exaggerating since 756 BC

Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial

No good, don't think I used google+ much with the phone.

I've just ndiscovered however that there was a sync performed a few hours before the accident so it was backed up recently. I can't access any more information than that without turning the wifi on, which I don't want to do in case it overwrites the memory.

*I'm the original poster btw*

Welcome to Android Central!

If you leave master sync off then, or with wifi and mobile data off, take a look at the Samsung account sync settings and see if there is a photo sync option. I don't think there is.
    I also disabled Google + so don't auto back up , but the regular Google account sync settings are normally set to sync photos unless unticked.
    You say your pc is kaput but if you can log into your Google account somewhere you can check if photos are there.
    Touch your account names in Samsung and Google accounts in General - Accounts. You can check which is set to sync by turning master Sync on briefly with data and wifi off. I don't think you would lose anything with them on though.
    Exaggerating since 756 BC

Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial

Hmm seems google+ did make a backup. Unfortunately it was only the small number of photos in the auto backup folder

It seems likely that even if the Samsung auto backup did backup the photos, it's most likely the same ones google+ backed up. Hopefully I've fixed my PC so will have one last attempt at finding a non-dodgy android file recovery programme and then if unsuccessful accept my loss...

Thanks for the help!
    Thanked by:
    Madd54