Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stalemate1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default android overclocking apps and monitoring

I hav a moto g quad core device and it has android kitkat 4.4 and was wondering what a good a reputable legit overclocking app would be.

also was wondering do you have to root a device to overclock? and is there a good systems monitor utility?
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel U View Post
    notworried about the warranty even though the moto g is only 1.2ghz id like to overcdlock it anyhow for heavy multi tasking and performance. im going to get a much faster phone in a month or so and I overclock computers all the time so I don't see the harm in this unless rooting your device opens you up to malware?
    You'll need a kernel that allows you to overclock the CPU to a higher frequency. You can't do it with just root. Rooting itself will only allow you to underclock and change how the phone utilizes the CPU (governor). I use No-Frills CPU Control from the Play Store for my One XL.

Default Re: android overclocking apps and monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    I hav a moto g quad core device and it has android kitkat 4.4 and was wondering what a good a reputable legit overclocking app would be.

also was wondering do you have to root a device to overclock? and is there a good systems monitor utility?
    Youd definitely have to root and loose your warranty in the process. Why do you need to over clock? Do you game alot, moto g should be more than able to do some hardcore gaming from stock, unless you see lagg but then its probably a fault in the game.
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

You need to root to over clock. No question about that. Stalemate1 has a good question that I would like to know the answer.

Brought to you by CM11, an M8, and the AC Forums App.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

notworried about the warranty even though the moto g is only 1.2ghz id like to overcdlock it anyhow for heavy multi tasking and performance. im going to get a much faster phone in a month or so and I overclock computers all the time so I don't see the harm in this unless rooting your device opens you up to malware?

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

You'll need a kernel that allows you to overclock the CPU to a higher frequency. You can't do it with just root. Rooting itself will only allow you to underclock and change how the phone utilizes the CPU (governor). I use No-Frills CPU Control from the Play Store for my One XL.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

ok and do I need to backup anything or just use the one app I found this article http://www.techgeekal.com/2014/04/10...g-faux-kernel/ but did not understand what it ment by Disclaimer : Do It At Your Own Risk! This installation process assumes that you have either PhilZ or CWM or TWRP Recovery flashed on your Moto G

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

ok and do I need to backup anything or just use the one app I found this article http://www.techgeekal.com/2014/04/10...g-faux-kernel/ but did not understand what it ment by Disclaimer : Do It At Your Own Risk! This installation process assumes that you have either PhilZ or CWM or TWRP Recovery flashed on your Moto G
    CWM and TWRP are recoveries. You need to flash them before rooting I believe. You can make a backup in those recoveries.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

does rooting a device effect security? does it open any unwanted malware holes

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

does rooting a device effect security? does it open any unwanted malware holes
    No. You can deny any app superuser permissions.

ok what do I do to start 2.Reboot your device to Custom Recovery or the black screen? also how do yuou flash CWM and TWRP