T-Mobile vs AT&T Throttling

A

AC Question

Hi, this is my first time posting a question. I've been with AT&T since early 2010. I'm grandfathered into their unlimited data plan, but the cost always bugged me. I was also being throttled after using 5GBs within my data cycle (which I think is bogus). I called AT&T and they claim they only throttle to 4G speeds. My phone bill is about $100 a month. I'm a college student trying to make it work and a $100 phone bill is just ridiculous. I called AT&T a couple days ago and they managed to reduce it to about $82 after my college discount and tax.
I would like to ask any of you if it's worth it to switch to T-Mobile. I hear the throttling is even worse. I hear that T-Mo. customers are throttled to 2G speeds if they have the 1GB, 3GB or 5GB 4G LTE data plans. I currently reside in Atlanta for school (inside the Perimeter) and the coverage for my service is pretty good. I checked the T-Mobile coverage map and it says there is also great service in Atlanta.
I was also told that if you get the the unlimited 4G LTE data plan, you won't have any throttling issues. Is this true? Is it also true that customers under the 1, 3 & 5GB 4G LTE plans are throttled to 2G speeds? Is it true that AT&T customers are only throttled to 4G speeds? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to save money on my phone bill.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about ATT but with T-Mobile the 1,3,5gb plans (50,60,70$) all throttle to 2G speeds after their allotted data. The unlimited plan ($80) does not throttle no matter how much you use but you are limited to 5gb of hotspot on that plan.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Doooooooom

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
@RumoredNow Hi I'm the person that asked the question. It told me I needed to create an account in order to reply to comments.
I'm getting better at not using too much data. When I do stream music, it's through the Google Play Music app. I haven't found a music app that I actually like just yet. However, I started putting music on my phone because I like to preserve my battery life as much as possible. I also didn't want to waste my data on streaming music when I can put those same songs on my phone.

Most of my data usage comes from just regular browsing, Flipboard and the occasional Netflix when I'm on the go. My data usage hasn't been as high as it was before, mainly because I'm starting to use the available WiFi around me. I think if I were to switch, 3GB 4G LTE might be good enough, but I don't wanna risk going over that data and then getting throttled to death until the end of my billing cycle lol.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to AC and thanks for signing up!!!

T-Mo does throttle you to EDGE if you go over. It's the Netflix that will get you. I guess it comes down to your data habits and how much WiFi you can take advantage of.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
@Google_Superuser The unlimited plan sounds like a pretty cool offer. And I was told that I'd have a college discount applied, so that might come out to be cheaper than what I pay on AT&T.

Welcome to Android Central!

Like others said T-Mobile can be good.. But once throttled it is just as bad as the AT&T throttle... 2g speeds. The unlimited is truly unlimited though.. So if you can get a discount and afford it.. You could then stream as much as you want without worry.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Doooooooom

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Like others said T-Mobile can be good.. But once throttled it is just as bad as the AT&T throttle... 2g speeds. The unlimited is truly unlimited though.. So if you can get a discount and afford it.. You could then stream as much as you want without worry.

I'm going to the T-Mobile store to see what they can do and to see what the bill would come out to.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to the T-Mobile store to see what they can do and to see what the bill would come out to.

If you have a credit card and can have a hold put on it for awhile (about 700 dollars... A hold not charge.. For 7 days) you could test T-Mobile for free to see how their data coverage would work for you where you live.

You simply go to this page and sign up.... https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...le.com%2Ftest-drive-free-trial&token=cYYcZplk

Then they send you an iPhone 5S to use for 7 days... After that you return the phone to a corporate T-Mobile store (not an authorized retailer) after 7 days and the hold on your credit card is released (again it's only a hold so not a charge.. No interest or anything) and it will cost you literally $0 to try them out this way. :).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams