Nexus 7 or Tab S?

fragment137

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Seems like an odd question to ask, as the Nexus 7 is a year old now and the Tab S is a fresh release with the latest tech.

The two choices that face me: Nexus 7 32GB WiFi (Black) VS. Galaxy Tab S 8.4 16GB (Bronze)

I'm just sort of torn between which one I want to get. I love the Nexus 7 for stock android, wireless charging and quite frankly the design is solid, but the Tab S has that AMOLED display, 3GB of ram and support for 128GB of expanded storage. I also have to say... the 7 looks a lot smaller in person than I expected. I don't want a 10in tablet at all -- they're too big for my needs -- and I do love the size of the Tab S, but the price point has me second guessing.

In terms of what I want to use the tablet for, it will be used for a lot of watching videos, whether streaming or on the device. It will also be used for gaming, both light and intense with varying degrees. I like the idea of having the IR blaster on the Tab S, but TBH probably won't use it that often. the super powerful processor and 3GB of ram in the Tab S would make it better for gaming.

The Nexus 7 is just such an awesome price. If it's capable of doing everything I need it to do (and well) then I would just buy that. I'm looking for best bang for buck. So what say you AndroidCentral?

fragment137

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm a believer in going the Nexus route for longer term support and upgrades. If you can wait there is the rumored Nexus 8 coming in the fall...

I agree the Nexus would be a good device in terms of longevity... It's going to come down to which device me and the fiance both like in store when we're actually playing with it. We'll see what happens!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I always lean toward Nexus devices because I'm not a fan of manufacturer skins that don't give me a choice about all of the extra "features" that are thrown in. The lack of an SD slot in Nexus devices is definitely a drawback if you're going to use the device for lots of media consumption--but keep in mind that on these forums, we see a lot of various complaints regarding SD card problems in Samsung devices.

fragment137

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe i'll look at the Nexus 10 then as well. I have to say that I'm just not too keen on the Nexus 7 because of it's size. Otherwise the only thing it's missing for me is the AMOLED and expandable storage.

Why can't I just afford to buy both? lol

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe i'll look at the Nexus 10 then as well. I have to say that I'm just not too keen on the Nexus 7 because of it's size. Otherwise the only thing it's missing for me is the AMOLED and expandable storage.

Why can't I just afford to buy both? lol

I moved to a Nexus 7 (see my signature) from a 10 inch Asus Iconia A200. The screen only seems small for a minute. Honestly the smaller size makes the tablet so much more usable, IMHO. Lighter weight, more portable. You'll carry it with you more often and be able to hold it and use it longer. The screen size is immersive enough for games and videos. I don't think I'd ever go back to a 10" tablet unless I wanted one for couch potato mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk