Moving apps on external sd to a new external sd?

jeemer

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. Got an S5 (rooted but just using xposed) and I was using an old 32gb sd card for it. Most of my games are installed to it.

I've just bought a new 64gb one.

I copied everything from the old sd card onto my pc (set to show hidden files in Windows although I didn't notice any)

I've now copied everything over from the pc to the new sd and put it in my phone.

The sd works, I can browse it and play music from it etc.

However all of the apps that I had previously installed to SD now no longer seem to be in application manager.

The icons are still on my homescreens, but when I click them nothing happens.

Can someone please help, what do I need to do? I'm guessing some files didn't copy or are hidden on a deeper level somehow?! maybe a partition(?)

(apologies for duplication - posted this on s5 board before I noticed this sub forum)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You can't transfer apps from one SD to another just like that. You need to move the apps back to the phone, insert you're new SD card, the transfer back to the SD card.

I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but that's going to get your apps moved over so you don't lose the apps. Apps are stored on a separate partition, which I don't think is readable by the computer by default - enabling hidden files won't work either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jeemer

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh thanks. That makes perfect sense really but when I searched for people with similar problems no one seemed to be mentioning partitions. Thank you!

Can I also just ask - is that name a shoryuken / marvel reference? :)

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Another option that's very easy is to use any disk cloning software. I recently had issues with bad dismounts and changed sd cards 4 times. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition and it worked perfectly. I had the new sd card in a reader and the old card in the tablet and then chose the copy disk wizard. The software walks you thru each step and in no time your done. One really nice feature is the ability to copy a disk that's been partitioned and you have the option whick partitions you want copied. Very easy :D

EDIT forgot to mention the program is free for non commercial use Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Last edited: