Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need help choosing next phone.

I have a galaxy S3 right now and its pretty messed up. The power button doesnt work properly it would shut off and it would take me a long time sometimes to get it back on. My contract has been up for almost a year and I was going to wait on the Galaxy S5 but I do not like it. So im posting on here to get opinions from other people what my next phone should be. I really wanted to get the LG G3 when it becomes available August 1st since im in Canada. Im thinking though will that QHD screen really kill my battery since it only runs a snapdragon 801...So im wondering if I should wait for the Nexus 6 (if there will be one) Note 3, Xperia Z3, Galaxy F (if thats ever going to happen or come to canada) So please tell me your opinions...should i wait to get a phone that has a snapdragon 805 or will that not make much of a difference from a G3 snapdragon 801

Global Posts
    4,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

Default Re: Need help choosing next phone.

Quote Originally Posted by orlans21 View Post
    I have a galaxy S3 right now and its pretty messed up. The power button doesnt work properly it would shut off and it would take me a long time sometimes to get it back on. My contract has been up for almost a year and I was going to wait on the Galaxy S5 but I do not like it. So im posting on here to get opinions from other people what my next phone should be. I really wanted to get the LG G3 when it becomes available August 1st since im in Canada. Im thinking though will that QHD screen really kill my battery since it only runs a snapdragon 801...So im wondering if I should wait for the Nexus 6 (if there will be one) Note 3, Xperia Z3, Galaxy F (if thats ever going to happen or come to canada) So please tell me your opinions...should i wait to get a phone that has a snapdragon 805 or will that not make much of a difference from a G3 snapdragon 801
    The Snapdragon 801 is already a massively powerful yet efficient processor.

Our friend Alex Dobie from AC found that the screen does not affect the battery life as much as one would think: LG G3 Review | Android Central

The battery is also removable, so you can swap it out for another battery if needed.

It's a really potent phone and I think you'd be content with it.

I am a developer for HTC devices. If you ever need help with one, let me know.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If i do get the G3 I already know I'm getting a 2nd battery. What were to happen when apps start taking advantage of the QHD display?

Global Posts
    4,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

If i do get the G3 I already know I'm getting a 2nd battery. What were to happen when apps start taking advantage of the QHD display?
    Could add a little for info as to what you mean by "taking advantage"?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Could add a little for info as to what you mean by "taking advantage"?
    Like when games and apps start supporting QHD resolution because everything would be running in 1080P

Global Posts
    4,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

Like when games and apps start supporting QHD resolution because everything would be running in 1080P
    It will be a while before that happens, but even so, the phone will last you enough. You're even going to have 2 batteries!

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

hopefully to make it to at least 5 hours of screen on time with moderate-heavy useage

Global Posts
    4,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

hopefully to make it to at least 5 hours of screen on time with moderate-heavy useage
    I think you'll get close to that. Maybe you can get an extended battery when it becomes available.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I wonder how the custom roms for the G3 would do without LG's optimizing software to run that QHD. the 3A's

Global Posts
    4,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

I wonder how the custom roms for the G3 would do without LG's optimizing software to run that QHD. the 3A's
    They'd probably implement it in some way. Devs are amazing

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I sure hope so. This doesn't mean I'm going to put on a custom rom but i am going to root it.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I'm coming from an iPhone (I know what was I thinking) and I got this phone Wednesday. I got it charged and used it pretty heavily for the next 8 hours before it needed to be charged.
    It has a battery saving mode that will turn on when the battery gets to a certain level. You set the level. I have it set to start at 50%. This phone is beautiful. I'm loving the keyboard and the camera and everything about it.

Posted from my LG G3
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I kinda find battery saving apps useless to me since I want to have service even when my battery is low. Data I don't care that much ill turn it on when I need it if battery is low but I want to be able to still text with low battery so really battery saving mode is useless to me

Global Posts
    4,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

There are a couple of battery saving apps that actually do help, but in general, they mostly do the same thing. They just turn off all the radios on your phone.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

i would just stick to the battery saving app that LG comes with