no internet connection when using MHL adapter on S5

A

AC Question

hello all. i tried a few searches but got no answer to my issue. currently i bought a samsung MHL adapter so i could watch streamed movies and surf the net from the galaxy s5 to my hdtv. the problem is that when i do connect the mhl adapter to the phone i sometimes get screen snow or bits and pieces of the screen thats on my phone or just a blank screen. also i gradually lose internet connection the longer the mhl adapter is plugged into the phone to the point theres no connection possible. if i unplug the mhl from the phone i gradually get service/connection again.

the odd part is if i put the phone on airplane mode and connect the mhl to the phone, it works! i do do plug the power adapter (even though the s5 and note doesnt need i from my reading) to ensure the battery's charging. my phones not root btw. my HDMI cable im using is the Monster HDMI gold brand fwiw.

any idea on whats going on please? is it the mhl adapter, hdmi cable, or cause the phones not rooted?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
hello all. i tried a few searches but got no answer to my issue. currently i bought a samsung MHL adapter so i could watch streamed movies and surf the net from the galaxy s5 to my hdtv. the problem is that when i do connect the mhl adapter to the phone i sometimes get screen snow or bits and pieces of the screen thats on my phone or just a blank screen. also i gradually lose internet connection the longer the mhl adapter is plugged into the phone to the point theres no connection possible. if i unplug the mhl from the phone i gradually get service/connection again.

the odd part is if i put the phone on airplane mode and connect the mhl to the phone, it works! i do do plug the power adapter (even though the s5 and note doesnt need i from my reading) to ensure the battery's charging. my phones not root btw. my HDMI cable im using is the Monster HDMI gold brand fwiw.

any idea on whats going on please? is it the mhl adapter, hdmi cable, or cause the phones not rooted?

Hello!

I had this problem with my One XL when using an MHL adapter as well. The WiFi would disconnect the moment I plugged it in. Have you tried data? Does that work? And it is the official Samsung MHL adapter, correct?

fst100

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I had this problem with my One XL when using an MHL adapter as well. The WiFi would disconnect the moment I plugged it in. Have you tried data? Does that work? And it is the official Samsung MHL adapter, correct?
hey there, what do you mean if i tried data? what i meant was the instant i connect the MHL into my S5, it'll gradually go from the 4G down to 3G to the point where it loses connection/no signal. if i unplug the MHL from the S5 the signal would go back to normal and get service. the MHL adapter i got was apparently a samsung model i bougt on ebay, but the one i got may be a chinese knock-off (the lable on the MHL says "SAMSUN" missing the letter "G". i also havent tried plugging in a 100mA charger (only got a 50mA charger). would that be the possible issue?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
hey there, what do you mean if i tried data? what i meant was the instant i connect the MHL into my S5, it'll gradually go from the 4G down to 3G to the point where it loses connection/no signal. if i unplug the MHL from the S5 the signal would go back to normal and get service. the MHL adapter i got was apparently a samsung model i bougt on ebay, but the one i got may be a chinese knock-off (the lable on the MHL says "SAMSUN" missing the letter "G". i also havent tried plugging in a 100mA charger (only got a 50mA charger). would that be the possible issue?

It could be the adapter itself. I was reading that the Samsung adapter didn't have these problems.

There's a thread I found on XDA that describes similar problems to yours: MHL Cable and WiFi Cut Off - XDA Forum

fst100

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
this happens in just data. forgot to answer the one member who asked above. i dont have a router to use the wi-fi except if i use the phone as a hotspot, thats about it, but even with that on or off, when the MHL is connected it'll lose signal. currently reading the thread/link the other person posted.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
this happens in just data. forgot to answer the one member who asked above. i dont have a router to use the wi-fi except if i use the phone as a hotspot, thats about it, but even with that on or off, when the MHL is connected it'll lose signal. currently reading the thread/link the other person posted.

I think that other person is me (they were both me). :)

So you don't use WiFi, just your phone as a hotspot. Gotcha. Was the adapter suppose to be new or was it used?

fst100

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
the adapter i just bought a generic "OEM" mhl adapter
MHL+HDMI+HDTV+Adapter+Cable+for+Samsung+Galaxy+S5+S4+S3+NOTE3+Note+2+Tab+3+10+1+|+eBay]MHL HDMI HDTV Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 NOTE3 Note 2 Tab 3 10 1 | eBay

i just went and bought this one that appears to have the correct model number provided and costs roughly the same as getting it directly from Samsung.
New+Samsung+HDMI+MHL+2+0+HDTV+Et+H10FAUWESTA+Adapter+for+Galaxy+S3+S4+S5]New Samsung HDMI MHL 2 0 HDTV Et H10FAUWESTA Adapter for Galaxy S3 S4 S5 | eBay

hopefully this one works.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I think that might be it then. Looks better than what you bought before. Update me on whether that adapter fixed your problem or not. I'm curious to see the outcome.

fst100

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I think that other person is me (they were both me). :)

So you don't use WiFi, just your phone as a hotspot. Gotcha. Was the adapter suppose to be new or was it used?

the one i bought i thought was an actual OEM from samsung but when i got it, i realize it was spelled "SAMSUN" and it costed $10 whereas the official OEM says SAMSUNG and has the valid model number on the box or somewhere and costs $30-40. i just bought the latter one and see if that helps. both were from ebay *gasp*