Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Uninstalling/Changing Android 4.4.2 on AT&T Moto X - Switching Carriers

Hello!

Back in October I bought the Moto X for $200 on AT&T (a couple weeks before they cut the price to $100 ....). Recently I've stopped my AT&T service and switched to cricket wireless; much better pricing! Problem is, I still have the AT&T branded device on the cricket network. This includes the 4.4.2 android update. If I'm correct, AT&T has modded this update (and all their devices' android software) themselves to disable things such as mobile wifi hotspots or uninstallable apps (myATT app) etc. Note that the cricket service is flawless; I can message/call/use data fine.

Anyways, is there a way to get the "vanilla" Moto X android build? Basically the android experience one would get if you bought it directly from Motorola. Also, will I still get future android updates (assuming Motorola continues to update the Moto X)?

Thanks for any help! I've been with AT&T for 3 years so I don't know the details of this kind of stuff.

Default Re: Uninstalling/Changing Android 4.4.2 on AT&T Moto X - Switching Carriers

One or more of these may fit the bill for Your Moto X (XT 1058).

Moto X - xda-developers
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Uninstalling/Changing Android 4.4.2 on AT&T Moto X - Switching Carriers

Thanks for replying! I'm assuming the first in the list is similar to the android build shipped with the Moto X bought directly from Motorola? Any advice on how to remove the ATT branding from my device? My system version in "about phone" says this: "165.44.1.ghost_att.ATT.en.us"

Also: I'm new at rooting/modding devices; if you could link me a tutorial it would be great

That first one is only for Verizon model. The 5th on the list looks the most up to date, IMHO. The CMB ROM. Also looks compatible.

For help on how to mod read first, then post questions here in your device's forum: Moto X Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Also search YouTube for videos on hacking your particular device. There are ton;s of look at what I did videos on there to help get you started figuring out what you need to learn.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S