Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    kay

Default 4G connection

Does the s5 come with 3G connection or are they fake?

Default Re: 4G connection

Welcome to Android Central! I don't quite understand your question. All phones with 4G capability also have the ability to receive 3G mobile data signal as well. If 4G isn't available in your area, it will fall back to the 3G signal.

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, I'll be on vacation from 7/27 to 8/13, with only intermittent web access. So if you don't see me around much, don't worry, I didn't defect to another site or anything like that.

Default Re: 4G connection

Heya Kay,

A bit more detail on your question would help. Have you had issues getting 3G speed out of phones? What area are you in? What carrier?

If you got the appropriate Galaxy S5 for your carrier you should get 2G or EDGE, 3G & "Faux G" which is H+ (and some companies call it 4G even though it is 3.5G) and maybe even LTE (which is true 4G) depending on how fast a servive your carrier is offering in your area.

Part of the data speed problems that people have is due to a misunderstanding about cell service and cell phones.

A phone that is branded for a certain carrier, when it is unlocked and taken to another carrier's service may not perform at top speeds. There is more than one radio on a phone. One for 2G, one for 3G/H+ and (on newer phones like the S5) one for 4G/LTE. These radios are tuned for a few frequency bands on each speed class of radio. Carrier branded phones running on the correct carrier network ensures the bands on the radio match the bands the carrier uses.

A famous example is that until recently T-Mobile ran all of it's 3G/H+ on the 1700 MHz band and almost no other phones that weren't marked T-Mobile had that band on their 3G radio. People unlocking AT&T phones, or using the wrong factory unlocked phone, could not get 3G on T-Mobile and they would fall back to the much slower 2G/EDGE speeds and then cuss up a storm. A lot of that problem is going away as T-Mo switches LTE to that 1700 band and moves 3G/H+ to 1900. Now, in more and more areas, almost any phone can get 3G/H+ on T-Mobile.

Remember, when in doubt, ask your carrier what speeds they have in the area you use your phone and get a phone branded to that carrier to make sure the radios match the towers.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows Phone 8.1 Update + Lumia Denim

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee