I spilled some water on my Galaxy S3, should I try to dry it out in rice for another day or is it broken?

A

AC Question

Galaxy s3 water damage

Yesterday when I was walking in from the car my water bottle leaked onto my Galaxy s3. As soon as noticed (I think the phone switched off) I pulled the battery and tried to dry out the water. I didn't realize this was the WORST thing to do so I tried to turn it on, got the vibration it makes when turning on but no lights anywhere on the phone - plus a nice sizzling sound. I pulled the battery again and put it in rice for 24 hours. Just tried to turn it on. No sizzling, and it will turn on, LED goes on, arrow keys light up, but the screen is black.

Is it worth sticking it back in rice for another day or did I probably fry something? :(

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s3 water damage

Yes...

The rice immersion should be for at least 48 or even 72 hours. Back off, battery out, SIM card and SD card removed. Put all those parts in that rice tub and make sure each is surrounded by rice, not just laying on it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s3 water damage

NO! Absolutely not!

Putting a wet phone in rice has ruined more phones than landfill crushers. Read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! and you'll understand why. Unless the water was triple-distilled and non-ionic, and it happened in a clean room, there will still be elements in the phone that will form acids and bases whenever the humidity is above absolute zero that will eventually eat your phone to death.

It may not happen until after you want to get rid of the phone anyway, or it might happen in a few months, but it will happen.

(Sorry for necroposting, but I don't want anyone coming across this thread and ruining a phone that could be saved.)