Can I use an unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy Relay 4G on MetroPCS and get 4G?

jeobsplyr

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello All!
This is probably a frequently asked question, I guess. Using an unlocked phone on a network that has 4G and trying to benefit from it. I have a Samsung Galaxy Relay 4G (unlocked, T-Mobile branded), that, I'd like to use on Metro PCS. As an aside, my wife wanted to subscribe to the service, nuff said!! Anyway, after chatting online with one of the Metro reps(???), I came away with the impression, that, my phone may or may not work on their network (4G, that is). I'm quite perplexed by all of this. Since I read that Metro PCS operates on T-Mobile's network. I guess in the long run, that, doesn't mean much. I guess what I'm asking is, in order to receive 4G service, do you have to acquire a device from the carrier offering the service? Have limitations been put on unlocked devices, in a way that they can't use 4G, because it wasn't purchased from that particular carrier? If someone can enlighten me on this, I'd surely appreciate it! All this hoo-ha, I just may go back to talk & text! Thanks!!:p

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would say yes...

Reasoning - by 4G you mean "Faux G" or H+, not LTE 4G, correct? Because your phone has no LTE radio. Many carriers worldwide label H+ as 4G and LTE as LTE....

Now it does have an H+ radio that gets all the right frequencies for T-Mo's towers. Since the Metro takeover by T-Mo they are offering SIMS and these SIMS connect to T-Mo Towers. Metro was CDMA only (no SIM required phones) before the takeover. Any SIM card they offer must be GSM tech and that lets you in at full speed of 4G (H+) due to your phone matching the towers you would HAVE to be connecting to...

Last edited:

jeobsplyr

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Right, RN!! Not LTE! I saw on their site that there are a few devices they offer that will handle LTE. I just want to have 4G capability. Hey, thanks for the info!! You guys are GREAT here!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance