Flaw in Samsung s5 voids warranty

A

AC Question

I have a weeks old Samsung galaxy s5. I had previously read on android forums how people had their charging port cover break, and so I have been extremely careful with mine, not wanting to experience the same fate.
However, yesterday morning I unplugged my phone which had been charging, and to my horror, the port cover flipped off and fell to the floor. I had not at this point even touched it, only the charging cord.
When I looked at it, there was not anything 'broken'. No snapped weld, no sign of twisting or wrenching or any force (as none was applied), simply two parts which are obviously meant to be glued together, which now are not.
I took it in immediately to my local Telstra store who told me it was 'damaged' and therefore not covered by warranty. The helpful shop assistant even suggested I go home and carefully glue it! When I asked whether this would affect my warranty (!) the guy replied, yeah, probably. Thank you, Telstra.
The phone is 3 weeks old and any ***** can see by looking at it that the parts have not been forced apart!
How long is Samsung going to bury their heads in the sand over this, the phone is sold on the basis of being water resistant, but this feature relies on the port cover which is obviously, just a month in, not performing to expected standards.
Does anyone have a happy ending to this story?!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that isn't cool. I haven't heard of this issue exactly, but if I do, I will try to direct people here.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a known issue. You can buy the replacement part, and replace it yourself.

There is a long discussion here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/380144-charger-cover-broke-14.html

Also, to clarify, breaking the charging port doesn't void warranty on the phone, just that that damage is not covered under warranty. Therefore, should say your earpiece stop working under normal uses, then that should still be covered under warranty.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3