Help picking a phone - Htc m8 vs Sony z2

griffin_1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
First, im not sure if this goes well here. I searched to see where users had previously asked for help picking a device and they used this sub-forum and since its a question i thought it fit here. If not, i apolagize and if possible move it.

So, Im looking to get a new phone to replace my s3 and so far i have narrowed it down to the Sony Xperia z2 and the HTC M8, but im having trouble deciding.
I have seen some videos comparing these 2, but still can't make a decision.

Overall, i like the m8 for its different design/materials,user interface and its a bit smaller than the z2, but that 4MP camera is just making it tough. I wanted a improvement on camera from my s3 and even if i exclude the lower resolution, the reviews are not always that great for the camera from what i have seen.
But there is something on the Sony that is not exactly "clicking" with me or making me think "i want that" and also the reported overheating issues don't inspire a lot of confidence, so i don't know.

Which one do you recommend or think is the best choice?

Thanks

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central.
Get another 'argument' going in Phone Wars, under Android Central Lounge. There are a few threads there with the M8 against the LG's, S5 etc. but I didn't see one against the Z2. :D

griffin_1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I will see if a thread can be created for to put these two against each other :)
There is a thread there but its a few months old and more users have probably got the phone and some updates have been made i believe for the z2 and also the m8, so it will be good the get updated feedback.

griffin_1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply!
I have been considering more the z2 because of the camera. I have tried them in store and i liked the m8 better in terms of size,feel in the had and overall design(even though the z2 wasn't bad in those aspects, i liked the m8 better), but that camera is killing me and it will feel like a step back from my s3 that doesnt produce bad photos but there are better sensors out there now and the one on the m8 doesn't seem to live to the hype HTC wanted to give to the camera.

However, i have been reading some horror stories about the z2 =X i don't know if its just first bad batches, but i have read about the overheating using the camera, especially in 4k and it seems that the response from Sony was "just use it for a few minutes at a time" and also because of that overheating, some of the glass back covers have cracked, which im sure would not always be seem as a device issue and for warranty purposes they might just say that the user dropped the phone.

So, one has been showing that users, or some of them - depends on how lucky you are - are having issues with the phone(z2) and the other(m8) has a camera that a lot of the times produces results, like aokusman said, from a camera from 2 years ago. I mean, they are not always bad, but they lose in detail and sometimes if its a bit to bright it seems to not work well, so you would be more dependent on the lighting conditions than usual i guess, but it quick at taking those shots.