Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By axc990
  • 1 Post By Laurence R
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S4 contact storage is 4GB

Hi, my phone has been showing low storage for a while so i just keep deleting stuff however today I am down to 672KB available space but have no apps left to delete which aren't reasonable for a smart phone to have (facebook/twitter etc). I cant even recieve text messages. My contact list wont load (possibly from updating to 4.2.2) and my contact storage is taking up 4GB apparently so I really need to load my contacts so I can back them up before clearing my contact data - any ideas to solve these problems would be very much appreciated!

Global Posts
    31,637 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Galaxy S4 contact storage is 4GB

Try rebooting in recovery and clearing cache. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Follow instructions for the S3.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

I'm having the same problem but my contacts storage is 6.35GB for some reason and I've moved everything to the SD card or deleted the apps that I couldn't move but for some reason my application data is >9GB and the phone refuses to let me access my contacts or message and just says "updating contact list" I don't want to lose my contacts, they're all saved to my phone or my messages, any suggestions?
    wolfwolfwolf1 likes this.

Smile Re: Galaxy S4 contact storage is 4GB

Bad problem.
    Contact Storage currently 5.94 GB.
    Cannot even download an app to save Contacts to SIM.
    It seems that when I delete files, that the Contacts grow, so it fills up my memory again.
    cannot use my phone properly, cannot make phone calls.
    does not display contacts
    cannot even make the choice of which contacts to display, waiting for hours, still cannot choose, I am assuming it is set to default that would mean "All Contacts " are being displayed.
    Started to have problems with contacts, after T-Mobile store did do a diagnostic on my phone to tell me that everything was okay.
    Before diagnostic I had about 3400 contacts.
    After diagnostic from T-Mobile, I had over 10,000 contacts.
    Many thousand of Linked-In duplicates.
    Tried to download duplicate removing apps.
    Only worked a bit, then even the apps capitulated, as the number of contacts must have even grown much larger now.

Any ideas out there?

This contact storage problem is obviously happening to a few people and needs to be addressed. Where are the tech gurus out there? Do you have any suggestions on how contacts can be saved, cleaned, deleted and preserved. Then phone cleaned and everything starts functioning again well ?

Has anyone figured out what to do for this issue yet?!?! IM ABOUT TO BREAK MY F*#%ING PHONE SO FRUSTRATING! I delete stupid **** off my phone and somehow my dumbass phone decides to have less space after?!?!?! WTF HELP NOW!!!

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

I have uninstalled most of my apps, and the ones I need I have moved to SD card. Every time I free up space though, it gets gobbled up by Contacts Storage, which is currently at 4.84 GB.

I literally have 0 space left, which is resulting in windows popping up to tell me that apps are crashing. Interestingly, a lot of the failing apps are things I just uninstalled - but that's an issue for another day.

Help!

If you can access *#9090# on a non carrier version and select the second option "Delete Logcat / Dumpstate files" that may work. It won't do any harm.

I figured it out.

I have 4 email accounts. I removed 1, let everything synch, then re-added the account I had removed.

My Contact store went from 4.8 GB down to just over 1 GB, and has remained there for the past 24 hrs.
    anon8380037 likes this.

This happened to me too, device kept saying insufficient storage and no matter how many things I deleted, (apps, pictures, videos, app data) the device storage would fill right back up and I couldn't figure out why. Tried to install the DiskUsage app and a cache cleaner right after deleting hundreds of mb but kept getting the insufficient space message. It wasn't until I deleted well over 3 or 4 gigs of stuff that I noticed my contacts were taking up 4+ gb of space so I tried going into my contacts app but couldn't access it because it was "updating contacts" for an ungodly amount of time. I eventually just went into the contacts settings under application manager and cleared the data, knowing that I had my important contacts backed up with google. This worked for me but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have your contacts saved somewhere else. I have no idea why the contacts data kept growing which is frustrating af, but I hope this helps.

I'm in the exact same boat, contacts are close to 5GB and keeps growing as I delete stuff. Have cleared caches and I only have the one email account... any help would be much appreciated.... feels like a virus to me.