Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bobbob1016
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Glas Ot Zalata
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default WHERE downLdd app GO, pls?

Just got an (generic chinese VINSTAR2050, Android 4.21 JB) 10.1" Tablet and downloaded / installed successfully basic apps such as Firefox, Download manager etc. BUT I do not find them in the main Launcher GridView. They ARE in the Setttings>App Manager, listed as installed.
    So how do i launch these, if the Main Launcher does NOT show them to me?
    I am complete newbie on Android, though with some years experience in PCLinuxOS. Thx, rgds, Pete

Default Re: WHERE downLdd app GO, pls?

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Just got an (generic chinese VINSTAR2050, Android 4.21 JB) 10.1" Tablet and downloaded / installed successfully basic apps such as Firefox, Download manager etc. BUT I do not find them in the main Launcher GridView. They ARE in the Setttings>App Manager, listed as installed.
    So how do i launch these, if the Main Launcher does NOT show them to me?
    I am complete newbie on Android, though with some years experience in PCLinuxOS. Thx, rgds, Pete
    Well, I don't think this is an Android issue, as much as a "VINSTAR2050" issue. Might be something with their launcher that is messed up. A slight workaround may be to go launch the apps from the Play Store, as according to Amazon, this tablet, or the "VENSTAR 2050" has Google Play. If not, I think posting some screenshots of the launcher may help, as these types of tables aren't always standard compliant.

Unhappy Re: WHERE downLdd app GO, pls?

Thank you Bob for your prompt response.
    Well i do not think it is a hardware issue when it is obviously a SOFTWARE issue, OS Android.
    Just like Linux is Linux is Linux throughout machines (decorations / interfaces notwithstanding).
    Anybody pls hlp thx rgds pete

Quote Originally Posted by Glas Ot Zalata View Post
    Thank you Bob for your prompt response.
    Well i do not think it is a hardware issue when it is obviously a SOFTWARE issue, OS Android.
    Just like Linux is Linux is Linux throughout machines (decorations / interfaces notwithstanding).
    Anybody pls hlp thx rgds pete
    I said it was software, as in your launcher.

Let me phrase it in a Linux way. I don't know PCLinuxOS, but I used Ubuntu, and use Mint now, so similar. Basically some Android hardware comes with Google Play, and some doesn't. Similar to how some Linux Distros come with proprietary drivers/codecs and so on and some don't. Some less expensive, generic hardware manufacturers don't include Google Play because Google basically charges to include it. If you had to side load those apps, then that's likely why.

Could you please post a screenshot so we can see the actual launcher they bundled, and so we can know what's going on here better? Your tablet seems to have it's own, customized "Distro" of Android that isn't generic, so I don't know if anyone could say exactly what's going on without owning the same one. All my tablets annoy me out of the box because they automatically add icons to my homescreen which I don't want, and as you seem to be having the opposite issue, it seems like it's a VENSTAR issue.

Edit: Out of the box as in I have to go to the Google Play settings to turn off "auto add to home screen"

Edit edit: re: "it is obviously a SOFTWARE issue, OS Android", I would say you mean "it is obviously a *VENSTAR* SOFTWARE issue, OS *VENSTAR* Android".
    Glas Ot Zalata likes this.

Thx, will do (scrn shot) after the game tonight. Rgds, P
    -------------------
    Latin FOOTBALL good, EUROPEAN football - "gooder".
    -------------------
    Alas, i am unable to discover how to make screen shots with Android.
    To use a camera is -of course- not dignified, so ...
    Thx, anyway, rgds, P.

Welcome to Android Central! When you say that you don't find you apps in the "main Launcher GridView," do you mean the Homescreen or the App Drawer? The Homescreen is like the Windows desktop--you can customize it in a number of ways, by adding shortcuts to apps, as well as widgets. The App Drawer shows you all of your installed apps, and is typically accessed by tapping an icon on the Homescreen that looks like a circle with a grid of dots, or a square grid of dots.

If this is your situation, then be aware that installing apps does not necessarily place a shortcut on your Homescreen automatically--there's a setting in Google Play Store that can turn this function on or off. All installed apps should show up in your App Drawer, though.

See this part of my guide for further explanation: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...ml#post3707441
    Glas Ot Zalata likes this.

Wow, Excellency, my hat goes off!
    What an impressive GUIDE have You authored! Very much leading the way out to the Post-Win Civilization. Much appreciated; beginning to learn. Best rgds, thx, Peter
    B. Diddy likes this.