Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Unhappy galaxy s4 screen black but phone rings

Hi

I was writing an email this morning and the screen froze. thick black lines then appeared and my email started to fade away until the whole screen was black.

I can still ring the phone from house phone and it goes to voicemail but the screen remains completely black. Ive tried taking battery, sim and memory card out and putting them back in. Phone then makes the usual Samsung noise of phone turning on but screen stays black.

Not sure what to do as its not insured! The phone hasn't been damaged, dropped or anything.

Default Re: galaxy s4 screen black but phone rings

Sorry to hear about your issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it's got an 'easy fix'. But before we jump into conclusions, first things first.

With the phone off, turn it on by pressing and holding together the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons. Wait for the phone to turn on and when it enters Recovery Mode, you can let go of the buttons. Here's where you should know if your screen is still alive or not. If you see ANYTHING on the screen while turning it on (we're going into recovery to rule out any OS issue), then there's still hope and you could probably fix things by doing a factory reset from the Recovery console. But if you can't see anything on the screen, then it means your panel is dead somehow and you should take it for repair.

It could be a loose connector and a simple re-connection would suffice, or it could be a fried board altogether. In any case, only after you open up the device can you tell what went wrong.