Samsung Galaxy Ace can't read SD Card Media folder

A

AC Question

Hi all, hope someone can help me out

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Ace and has been using it with no problem for around 18 months. Yesterday morning, her text tone changed from her custom tone to the standard 'Whistle' tone. No problem I thought, I'll just reset it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to.

Using the file manager, I can see that the tone is still saved to the SD Card in the directory sdcard/media/audio/notifications, just as it was before, but the notification tone selection list doesn't show the file. I wondered if there was a problem with the SD Card, but my own Galaxy S3 Mini displays it fine. I have even tried using some ringtone creation apps, but none of them are able to detect that the SD Card is mounted.

Short of factory resetting (and why would I need to do that when both phone and SD Card are working, other than this particular problem) I am completely out of ideas. Can anyone suggest a possible fix?

Thanks in advance

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, hope someone can help me out

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Ace and has been using it with no problem for around 18 months. Yesterday morning, her text tone changed from her custom tone to the standard 'Whistle' tone. No problem I thought, I'll just reset it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to.

Using the file manager, I can see that the tone is still saved to the SD Card in the directory sdcard/media/audio/notifications, just as it was before, but the notification tone selection list doesn't show the file. I wondered if there was a problem with the SD Card, but my own Galaxy S3 Mini displays it fine. I have even tried using some ringtone creation apps, but none of them are able to detect that the SD Card is mounted.

Short of factory resetting (and why would I need to do that when both phone and SD Card are working, other than this particular problem) I am completely out of ideas. Can anyone suggest a possible fix?

Thanks in advance

Hello. Could you not download it to the phone storage.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Jamie Cruickshank

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. That could work in theory, but the on-board storage of the phone is so pathetically small that I'd rather not do that if at all possible.

The main confusion is why the file cannot be read all of a sudden.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

If it has been working fine in that fashion for 18 months, there may be some corruption on the card and is starting to fail.
You can run a chkdsk scan from a windows pc if you can connect, and/or save the card data to a folder, unmount, re-insert and format it. It's easier than a reset, but if it's just the ringtone you may not want to do that yet. The card may need to be replaced anyway. My Kingston card lasted about 21 months in 2 phones.
Hold on for other opinions

Jamie Cruickshank

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try as soon as I have the phone again

EDIT: Excellent, chkdsk found some corruption on the SD Card. All seems well again for now. I'll look into replacing it for the long term. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital