Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin Oates
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default C720 or C720p Chromebook?

Hey,

I'm going to be picking up my first Chromebook at the weekend and I was curious to see if anyone has experience with either the Acer C720 or C720p?

Looking at the spec sheet and a few review videos the only difference I can tell is the C720p has a touch screen, which imo doesn't warrant the extra price increase.

does anyone own a C720 or C720p and regret it? also does anyone own any other recent Chromebook models from HP or Samsung?

thanks

Default Re: C720 or C720p Chromebook?

Funny you should ask--I have the C720 (nontouch), and just got an HP Chromebook 14 (with HSPA+ mobile data). I think they're both excellent--no regrets.

The C720 is a capable little machine, very lightweight, perfect for using on the go. Mine has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB SSD, which is perfectly adequate for what I do. I usually have 4-5 tabs open, (G+, FB, Android Central, Google Play Music, and maybe Gmail), along with the Hangouts extension. Performance is fine--there might be music stutter when loading a webpage, but not horrible. Build is not premium, but serviceable, and it's hard to beat the value ($199). The trackpad is very good. Screen is ok. Speakers are not good, but they're actually better than my cheap Win8 laptop.

Personally, I don't think the C720P is worth it, because I don't like going from keyboard to screen with my fingers. On Win8 laptops with touchscreens, I end up using the trackpad anyway.

Initial impressions of my HP 14 are very good. Much better screen, keyboard, speakers. This unit has 4 GB RAM and 32 GB SSD, so probably a little better performance than the C720. It comes with 200 MB of free data (HSPA+ on T-Mobile, which is pretty fast) per month for life, which is a nice perk. I got it for $219 refurbished on woot.com. Looks brand new to me!
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Excellent, thanks very much for the above info! I found it really hard to find comparisons online, so its refreshing to hear that you have experience with both HP and Acer. I was considering the HP 14 until a few reviews said the screen was terrible, but I would prefer the 14 inch size.

I've went from wanting the C720p, to the C720, then to the HP 11 - until I noticed it didn't have an HDMI port - now I'm back to the HP 14 lol

The HP 14 screen is nice and bright, although viewing angles aren't great. Not horrible, but not great.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I find that I use my chromecast a lot so when it comes to watching movies etc I tend to watch them on my tv so this was why I was aiming towards a smaller 11 inch chromebook, but I feel the 14 inch would benefit me if I were to use the chromebook to create documents etc.

Is the HP 14 heavy? I know it's heavier than the C720, but is it a lot heavier?

4.2 vs 2.76 pounds. It's not light.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

thanks again for the advise, think I'll go with the C720 - it's lightweight and compact, so it should be good
    B. Diddy likes this.