Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default How do I network unlock the samsung galaxy s3 sch-i535

Hi,

I am with AT&T and destroyed my iPhone by taking it swimming with me. A friend gave me a samsung galaxy s3 sch-i535 (Verizon) and said if I can get it on my network I can have it. The s3 sch-i535 (Verizon) is rooted and was running Cynanogen, and also has ClockworkMod. I have no idea how to use these. I researched and seems I should be able to use the phone on AT&T's network. I tried putting my SIM card in and it didn't work. I went into the AT&T store and they didn't provide much help but tried to sell me a phone.

I just need to know is it possible? If so, do I need to remove Cynanogen/ClockworkMod, etc. and put a "Stock" rom on the phone?

Thanks for any help!

Global Posts
    4,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: How do I network unlock the samsung galaxy s3 sch-i535

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Hi,

I am with AT&T and destroyed my iPhone by taking it swimming with me. A friend gave me a samsung galaxy s3 sch-i535 (Verizon) and said if I can get it on my network I can have it. The s3 sch-i535 (Verizon) is rooted and was running Cynanogen, and also has ClockworkMod. I have no idea how to use these. I researched and seems I should be able to use the phone on AT&T's network. I tried putting my SIM card in and it didn't work. I went into the AT&T store and they didn't provide much help but tried to sell me a phone.

I just need to know is it possible? If so, do I need to remove Cynanogen/ClockworkMod, etc. and put a "Stock" rom on the phone?

Thanks for any help!
    I think you would have to call Verizon to see if they can give you an unlock code. I don't know if they will since the phone is modified. I'm not sure the Verizon Galaxy S3 supports GSM either.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Verizon is CDMA....AT&T is GSM....you won't be able to use it.

CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Cool Re: How do I network unlock the samsung galaxy s3 sch-i535

I am currently running on AT&T's network with the SCH-i535 without an unlock code. Basically a friend gave me their shattered SCH-i535 so i can charge my AT&T SGH-i747's battery since my charging port is not working. Then I bricked my AT&T phone. So i swapped out the motherboards, not that hard just watch a few YouTube videos on disassemble of the device, dont lose any screws and reconnect everything the same was it was before. Then what I did was download an app called region unlock and the app does state that it may not solve a sim lock issue but I ran it anyway. This did not work for me either but these are the exact steps I took. Next I factory reset the device and when going through the setup wizard i was prompted to insert a sim card. So i put my AT&T sim in the device and i get the unauthorized sim message with a choice to skip the setup. Choose SKIP setup it will still say its completed and after a few mins the no signal sign vanished and I got full signal bars. This will automatically change the preferred network to Global. If you read the specs of the galaxy s3's it states "LTE : Band 13 (700MHz); CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev A, Dual-band : 800/1900MHz." Dual band being the key here and if you didnt already know the LTE is the GSM.

I'm running straight talk att sim in my sch-i535. Its an international phone meaning it supports cdma and gsm. You don't need to do anything special except pop the sim card in, change network mode to global (settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode) and add AT&T apn settings and reboot and viola, you're on AT&T towers. Easy peasy. Apn settings can be found online by googleing. Only issue I haven't gotten rid of yet is the "phone activation(SIM card from unknown source)" notification.