Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Help with DEMO on screen of Android Tablet.

Hi guys, hoping you can help a novice out here.

Long story short, the wife got a tablet for our son on e bay. Fine for a week but this morning a large red DEMO has appeared across the screen. Something else, not sure if its related, but when i go online the homepage is stuck on a site called smartdrones and no amount of changing and resetting will help. I have tried resetting the tablet and everything else in my limited knowledge but still it persists. Having read about i understand it may be a shop model or something. I have went into settings but all demo modes are off. I also read about firmware and things but its all beyond my comprehension. I know my way around a PC and a laptop but i've never had an android device before but i am a quick study!

Here is a list of specs:

Processor: Dualcore-A23
    Model No: TY_Q8H
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    Firmware Version: v2.0.8
    Kernal Version: 3.4.39, android10
    Build No: TY_polaris_eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 20140522 test-keys

Please let me know if any other info is required and i will be very much appreciative and thankfull for any and all replies.

Thanks, Mark.

Default Re: Help with DEMO on screen of Android Tablet.

Possible that a live wallpaper or something to that effect is enable and set to turn on after a set period of time?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Hi Paul, its certainly possible. How would i check that mate?

Is it something to do with firmware? Do i need to update the OS maybe?

Check under Settings/Display/

There should be an option there for Wallpaper.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Exclamation Re: Help with DEMO on screen of Android Tablet.

I bought an Android tablet and having the same issue. Resetting hasn't helped me either.
    Last edited by Darth Spock; 08-19-2014 at 05:26 AM.

hi I've had the same issue on a similar tablet to yours. It took me a while to sort it out, and the issue is often a corrupted or disables sytem file - most commonly caused by using root apps like 'Pimp my rom' or in my case 'ROM DIY'. The solution is often simply to re-enable the file that has been disabled, and reboot. If this is not possible e.g the apk was permanently deleted or is corrupted, then removing DEMO is much harder, but is still possible. There are 2 ways, descibed below; both require a rooted tablet which can be easily done with 'unlock root' in windows. If your tablet is already rooted simply install SuperSU and grant yourself superuser priviledges:
    Solutions:
    1. Riskier but will restore tablet to new - Download the appropriate firmware (or ask the vendor for it) and flash the rom (usning phoenixsuite). Make sure the firmware matches your tablet of you run the risk of bricking it, or you may end up with some features e.g wifi or touchscreen not working correctly
    2. Less risky but not perfect (this is what I did) - install 'Rom DIY', 'back button', 'battery widget', 'wifiWidget', 'wallpaper changer' and 'popup free'. Set these apps to run at boot (using their own settings, when available, or the 'Accessibility' tab of the tablet settings). When all the apps are up and running, use 'rom diy' to disable 'systemUI' (it has the jelly bean icon) and reboot (full reboot, not quick). This will cause the DEMO to disappear but you will also lose your wallpaper, navigation bar, notifications, and notification bar (where battery status and network connection are displayed). The various free apps mentioned above will restore the missing functionality and with some minor configuration your tablet will look even better than before.

The browser homescreen is a seperate issue. You can use ROM DIY (on a rooted tablet) to disable the stock browser and install one of your choice (e.g dolphin or chrome) which will be unaffected by this issue.

Hope this helps,
    Gabe