Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmagid51
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default using my phone on a carribean cruise, help please

hi guys.

i am looking for some help please,

i am about to go a caribbean cruise for 2 weeks and would like to be able to use my phone while i am traveling,

my phone is open to all networks so i would like to know what the best ( cheapest ) sim card phone package would be for me to buy so i can use my phone, i want to be able to ring text and message and use the internet. i wont use any of them a massive amount but would like the ability to use them if i want.

any help with this would be great,
    thank you

Default Re: using my phone on a carribean cruise, help please

Welcome.
    Many cruise lines have ship wide Wi-Fi now.
    Can you check this info with them?

Mav.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Hello. From the UK I can't help with recommending a sim, but I think many cruise lines have their own network, and may be able to recommend a sim or sell on board.
    You may have tried this. If not, worth checking and comparing prices with other recommendations here for on shore use.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

Leave the phone home and enjoy the cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    anon8380037 likes this.

There are two questions here, wireless internet at sea and cellular service at sea. They are entirely different, but neither is inexpensive.

First, cellular service at sea: Visit Wireless Maritime Services HOME for a description of the service and listing of ships in service (nearly all of the major cruise ships). Basically, this is old-fashioned roaming and the cost per minute/per text can be very high. Also, your regular carrier must be one that supports roaming on any network; many prepaid plans do not.

Then there is cellular while in port. Depending on your destination ports, you may have service through your regular carrier as part of your basic plan, roaming service, or none at all. Contact your carrier (or visit their website) and inquire about service at your destination.

Next, there is Wi-Fi internet. Yes, most all ships offer this nowadays but coverage throughout the ship varies dramatically. Also, this is usually the type where you visit a webpage and sign in. Most importantly, time is sold as a package at varying costs - xxx minutes usage over the length of your cruise at yyy cost. Normally you must sign up for one of several packages during your first 24 hours on board and then if you need additional minutes you pay a fixed per minute rate. You can burn those minutes using one of the computers made available for guest use or using your own tablet/notebook/phone.

Check out cruisecritic.com forums for lots of info on this subject and all matters cruising.