Can't get my MicroSDHC to work with my Moto G

A

AC Question

I recently bought a 32GB MicroSDHC for storing music in my Moto G. When I put it in, my phone said the memeory card was 'blank' and that I had to format. Then, when I pressed 'format' is left me with a message that said 'SD card is being checked'. I then decided to do a full reboot to try and fix any possible problems. Now I'm not even able to mount the SD card. What could be goingon and how can I fix it?

bonsainut1

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
This is a well-known problem with the Moto G (we're talking about the 4G LTE version here, since the original G doesn't have a Micro SD slot). There are numerous threads related to this issue on other Android sites as well as on Motorola's site.

Supposedly Motorola is exploring a software patch to address it... but I'm not sure it is addressable. In my personal opinion it is a hardware flaw - some phones may have faulty micro SD readers. Why do I think this? I own 3 Moto 4G LTE handsets and 4 class 10 32 GB micro SD cards. Any of the micro SD cards will work in 2 of the 3 handsets. In the 3rd handset, I cannot get ANY of the 32 GB MicroSD to work. I will get error messages "MicroSD has been removed, please replace" or other messages (including the "card needs to be formatted / checking card" loop). You name it I have tried it, including reformatting on my PC, etc. I can take a 32 GB MicroSD from the phone where it won't work, and move it directly to one of the other phones, and it works fine. Move it back to the first phone and it will not work.

Note that in the non-working phone, I CAN mount a lower level MicroSD. I currently have a sad little 2GB card in there that works fine. But it is strange to see two phones with 32GB cards, and one that won't work with the exact same cards. I am on my way to the store to pick up a 16GB card to see if that will work...

bonsainut1

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Update. It has something to do with the card speed.

I HAD been trying to use SanDisk Extreme MicroSD (32 GB) (45 MB/s read/write speed). Had problems with one of three phones.

Went to store bought a SanDisk UltraPlus MicroSD (32 GB) (40 MB/s read/write speed). No problems with any of the phones.

Note: on the SanDisk site they have a "compatibility chart". The Moto 4G LTE supposedly only supports cards up to a 30 MB/s read/write speed (the SanDisk Ultra line). So if you are having trouble, make sure you have a card with no higher than a 30 MB/s read/write.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12