Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By peacefulberry
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By peacefulberry
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By rwdluvbird
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    I can't find the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard. Do I need to download another one? If so, which one do you recommend?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    I would greatly appreciate anyone's help...
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    If you long press the comma button next to the Sym key, it will change it's icon to a smiley once you use it.
    Definitely recommend you give SwiftKey a go though, the new full version is free and is excellent. I just don't think they allow enough screen space to choose emoji, otherwise much better.





    SwiftKey emoji are on the enter key

    peacefulberry likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    If you long press the comma button next to the Sym key, it will change it's icon to a smiley once you use it.
    Definitely recommend you give SwiftKey a go though, the new full version is free and is excellent. I just don't think they allow enough screen space to choose emoji, otherwise much better.

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/ju4e4a6a.jpg

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/7aby7e2e.jpg

    SwiftKey emoji are on the enter key

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/2ehapaga.jpg
    Thx so much but I dont see the smiley icon when I long press. I just have the ,?!' T with a pencil icon, paste symbol, settings icon, and keyboard icon. Where did my smiley face go? I'm on 4.3...
    anon8380037 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Thx so much but I dont see the smiley icon when I long press. I just have the ,?!' T with a pencil icon, paste symbol, settings icon, and keyboard icon. Where did my smiley face go? I'm on 4.3...
    Ahh. That may be right.
    II was trying to search if I saw emoji were new with KitKat 4.4.

    Try enabling swipe on the Samsung keyboard and it might work, according to this :

    Swype + Dragon and Emoji

    You should still have it on SwiftKey, and there are numerous ways to configure it - arrows, number row, colours, themes, layout, sizes.

    I don't use them on texts, but I love using tbose on the Tapatalk app for these forums.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Ahh. That may be right.
    II was trying to search if I saw emoji were new with KitKat 4.4.

    Try enabling swipe on the Samsung keyboard and it might work, according to this :

    Swype + Dragon and Emoji

    You should still have it on SwiftKey, and there are numerous ways to configure it - arrows, number row, colours, themes, layout, sizes.

    I don't use them on texts, but I love using tbose on the Tapatalk app for these forums.
    I have swype enabled and its not there. Does the Samsung keyboard on 4.3 not have emoticons/emojis?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    I have swype enabled and its not there. Does the Samsung keyboard on 4.3 not have emoticons/emojis?
    I think not.

    For 'twas a lean barren time in days of yore!

    I got back to my old Galaxy S2 on 4.1 and it doesn't have them.
    My Note 3 does now but I never used them until recently myself.
    I always used SwiftKey though on both.



    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    peacefulberry likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I think not.

    For 'twas a lean barren time in days of yore!

    I got back to my old Galaxy S2 on 4.1 and it doesn't have them.
    My Note 3 does now but I never used them until recently myself.
    I always used SwiftKey though on both.

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/e5e2uty6.jpg

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    What about 4.3? I thought that 4.3 had it. It seems like mine used to have it but disappeared. Do you (or anyone) have a device with 4.3 that can confirm if 4.3 has it or not?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    What about 4.3? I thought that 4.3 had it. It seems like mine used to have it but disappeared. Do you (or anyone) have a device with 4.3 that can confirm if 4.3 has it or not?
    I don't know for sure. I have been searching, and asked in a thread.
    You will get a response eventually, but I think Note 3 on 4.3 did not have them. They are in the stock messaging app though.

    I was on 4.3 with my Note 3. You don't say which phone you have. One suggestion was long pressing the 'n' key.

    Sprint Galaxy S4: 4.3 update brings colored emojis

  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I don't know for sure. I have been searching, and asked in a thread.
    You will get a response eventually, but I think Note 3 on 4.3 did not have them. They are in the stock messaging app though.

    I was on 4.3 with my Note 3. You don't say which phone you have. One suggestion was long pressing the 'n' key.

    Sprint Galaxy S4: 4.3 update brings colored emojis

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/udeme4am.jpg
    Nothing appeared when I long pressed the n. I have a note 2. What did you do to get to the smilies in the photo above ?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    They're in the stock messaging app on my S2 and Note 3. So if you want basic emoji/emoticons they are available from the menu button as you compose a text.
    So the Note 2 went to 4.3 recently and not 4.4.
    Try putting a thread on the Note 2 forum if no joy here.
    Fairly sure the colour animation emoji were not available on the Note 3 on 4.3 with the Samsung keyboard.
    They are available in SwiftKey and other keyboards like Google's.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    peacefulberry likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    They're in the stock messaging app on my S2 and Note 3. So if you want basic emoji/emoticons they are available from the menu button as you compose a text.
    So the Note 2 went to 4.3 recently and not 4.4.
    Try putting a thread on the Note 2 forum if no joy here.
    Fairly sure the colour animation emoji were not available on the Note 3 on 4.3 with the Samsung keyboard.
    They are available in SwiftKey and other keyboards like Google's.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Ok. I see the android smiley faces from the menu button. Thank you! Is there an option for regular smilies instead of the android characters? :-)
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    In the SwiftKey keyboard, or if/when your phone gets the 4.4 update.
    It doesn't take long for a new keyboard to learn your word predictions.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    peacefulberry likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    In the SwiftKey keyboard, or if/when your phone gets the 4.4 update.
    It doesn't take long for a new keyboard to learn your word predictions.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Ok. Thx.
    anon8380037 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Ok. Thx.
    You can switch the default between different keyboards.





    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    peacefulberry likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Ok. Thx.
    Hi. Did you ever get emoji on any keyboard to work for you.
    There's a theory if they are not on the phone, they won't be on any keyboard.
    Another person cannot get them on a GS4. Thanks.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Hi. Did you ever get emoji on any keyboard to work for you.
    There's a theory if they are not on the phone, they won't be on any keyboard.
    Another person cannot get them on a GS4. Thanks.
    Sorry for the late reply...they are under the menu button, then click "Insert Smiley". They are android character emojis, but I guess they're better than nothing at all.
  18. #18  

    Smile Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    I just discovered this myself after searching for hours! Simply long press your "microphone" key on the keyboard when you are in the text window typing to someone. A new menu will show up and from there you can choose your smileys and a number of other fun emoticons!
    anon8380037 likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by rwdluvbird View Post
    I just discovered this myself after searching for hours! Simply long press your "microphone" key on the keyboard when you are in the text window typing to someone. A new menu will show up and from there you can choose your smileys and a number of other fun emoticons!
    Hello.

    Thank you for the input, which will be useful to new viewers.

    The issue still remains, on this thread and others, that some late Samsung phone owners on 4.3 or 4.4 do not have that facility on the Samsung or other keyboards.

    Some experienced poster had reported in an old thread that emoji are built in to the OS, not the keyboard.
    Some posters, like the Original Poster on this thread, do not have what you say on their keyboards and posted screenshots.

    I recommended only that they can access basic emoji from the menu button while composing a text message.

    Much later I asked the OP above for any news, but I think did not recognise my new avatar and repeated the work around I offered originally.

    I have given up asking in new threads why this is for some owners. It does not affect me, but it has been a regular question on this forum.
    I am not an Ambassador of the site or very experienced, but someone knows the reason and I can't trace where I saw it.

    Urggh! Banging my head on a wall now.

    Welcome to Android Central!

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    I installed very simple free app from the App store on my galaxy grand duos, and this soft merged very nicely with my old samsung keyboard. Try it, works very well: Emoji Keyboard.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Just use SwiftKey.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 🌌
  22. #22  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    20,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,209 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    +1 for Swiftkey. Better all around than the Samsung keyboard.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    I can't find the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard. Do I need to download another one? If so, which one do you recommend?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    I can't find the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard. Do I need to download another one? If so, which one do you recommend?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Where are the emoticons on the Samsung keyboard?

    press and hold the asterick bottom left of message. Also menu on top right 3 vertical dots. These can only be activated after you start message. Samsung Core Prime is my phone.

Similar Threads

  1. No Button to go Full Screen on the Embedded YouTube Videos
    By persim in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM
  2. Normal for the charger to get rather warm?
    By JnEricsonx in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 12:13 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-18-2014, 09:59 PM
  4. Sign in failed on Galaxy S3 cellphone
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 09:26 PM
  5. MAX Go doesn't work on the Note 10.1?
    By JnEricsonx in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions