Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By julianko
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default File transfer from pc changes from .doc to ..lnk

I connected my Galaxy S3 to my laptop and copied a word document (via drag and drop) from my computer to my phone. The extension changed from Microsoft Word's .doc format to a .lnk extension. When I try to open the file I get the following alarm message: Open file no apps can perform this action. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Default Re: File transfer from pc changes from .doc to ..lnk

Welcome to Android Central! When you drag and drop, make sure you're not actually selecting the option to create a shortcut. Try copying the file over again, this time while pressing the right mouse button, instead of the left mouse button. When you release the right mouse button (when the file is in the target folder), select Copy, rather than Create Shortcut. (I assume you're using a Windows computer.)

Smile Re: File transfer from pc changes from .doc to ..lnk

Thanks. Your suggestion didn't work but gave me the idea to go directly to the file and copy from there rather than from the shortcut. That worked. Thanks again.
    B. Diddy likes this.