Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

So, I want to root, since Framaroot won't work on iRola. The only phone I CAN root is this phone, as it didn't come from China or Nomerack.

The only thing is, my Sprint HTC EVO is my main phone, and I'm afraid of viruses getting into my phone when rooted.

To be on the safe side, even though I'm not rooted, I have Avast, AVG, Malwarebytes, and Eset on this phone.

Also, I know Framaroot won't brick my phone, most likely, since it doesn't require a computer.

I'm not one with tweaking my phone, so I don't have a worry for that.

But, my main question in a nutshell...

Should I root or not?

Global Posts
    17,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Rooting Advice?

I think I will put it this way: I have had 5 Android phones, and 1 Android Tablet. All rooted; 0 viruses, 0 Antivirus app in use. As long as you don't go to shady sites and download/sideload apps that may be pirated, you should be pretty safe.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I think I will put it this way: I have had 5 Android phones, and 1 Android Tablet. All rooted; 0 viruses, 0 Antivirus app in use. As long as you don't go to shady sites and download/sideload apps that may be pirated, you should be pretty safe.
    Also, reading through the forums, I noticed some issues happen after rooting. (Assuming they used the Universal method, or whatever it was called.) Could errors similar to those happen to my phone after rooting?

Global Posts
    17,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by RedManic View Post
    Also, reading through the forums, I noticed some issues happen after rooting. (Assuming they used the Universal method, or whatever it was called.) Could errors similar to those happen to my phone after rooting?
    I think I know what you are talking about. I have seen more errors come up with shortcut root methods than any other. Brings to mind the old saying: 'Nothing worthwhile is easy.'

I would honestly suggest reading up on root methods (and how to unroot) that at least require a PC tool to help you. The more you know about rooting your device using a PC the more you will learn.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I think I know what you are talking about. I have seen more errors come up with shortcut root methods than any other. Brings to mind the old saying: 'Nothing worthwhile is easy.'

I would honestly suggest reading up on root methods (and how to unroot) that at least require a PC tool to help you. The more you know about rooting your device using a PC the more you will learn.
    I could try rooting with Framaroot and backup with Titanium Backup, then unroot if needed, then reroot with the use of a PC?

Global Posts
    17,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by RedManic View Post
    I could try rooting with Framaroot and backup with Titanium Backup, then unroot if needed, then reroot with the use of a PC?
    From what I understand, different rooting methods don't play well together. You can by all means try, but be prepared to reflash stock images if things don't work out.

Phone Timeline
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

From what I understand, different rooting methods don't play well together. You can by all means try, but be prepared to reflash stock images if things don't work out.
    OK!