Dropped my HTC Evo 4G LTE in water, does the rice trick work for this phone???

A

AC Question

I dropped (fully submerged) my Evo LTE accidently in water while I was doing the dishes and listening to music. It was in there for a few seconds and after I pulled it out. (Stupid me) I tried turning it on, not having any experience with a broken phone before. It flashed on to the lock screen and then to the black off screen, then the screen turned a dark purple and the back, home and panel buttons still glowed purple too. Quickly finding that it wouldn't turn on (duh), I took the case and the back off of it. I filled a bag with rice and put the phone in there. I know I will have to tell my step-dad tomorrow at the most. I'm planning on keeping it in there for maybe 4-5 days. What should I do with it and does that rice trick I have heard about work for this kind of phone? I will see tomorrow if it does work of not... Please help!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
First thing is to get the battery and cards off, if they're removable.

Shake the phone to get as much water out of it as possible.

Put it in a bag or container with rice (or silica packets). Leave it there for 5 to 7 days.

After that, put the cards and battery in and turn the phone on.

If it starts properly and keeps on working as normal, your phone has a great chance to survive this ordeal.

Good luck! 🙋

Sent From Another Galaxy

Bellegris

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The battery is unremovable and I don't have any cards in it, I did dry it off with a towel to get the water that was visible off. And I did remove the back so any water that went into the battery itself can get removed hopefully. Thanks for the info thou!