Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Unlocking a Verizon Galaxy S3....?

Hi everyone, first let me start off by saying I looked and looked through threads but couldn't find the answer to my question....maybe I didn't look hard enough but that's why I decided to just make my own!

I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535, I had bought it in hopes that it was unlocked because all I've read online recently is "galaxy s3 is already carrier unlocked" when I would be searching...Sadly, it wasn't. It's also running Android 4.0.4 so I can't use any of the codes(*#XXXX#) to try unlocking it that way...I don't have Verizon service either, I was hoping to be able to put my StraightTalk SIM card in and it would work! But I guess these things can't always be that easy!

What I'm trying to ask is, even if I don't have service with Verizon, can I take it up to a Verizon store and have them unlock it for me? Or should I root(I think that's the term) the phone to update it to 4.1.2 so that I can unlock it myself? I'm afraid of doing the second option because the last thing I want to do is brick the phone and not be able to sell it if all else fails...What should I do? I don't want to use my IPhone anymore! lol I want to be able to use this Galaxy s3 without thinking I wasted my money....

Thank you in advance!

-Cheychu